HybridZ

RB25DET swap questions

9/73-E31-260z

So I've been considering swapping an RB25 turbo into my 260z. I've already done a lot of research but I had a couple questions.

1) I know that engine and transmission mounts will be required, but is it worth spending $700+ for kits like the ones from McKinney or would it be worth having some custom ones made if I might be able to get a bit of a deal somewhere local for me?

2) I also know a drive shaft is required, but I have seen people just shortening the stock one instead of getting a custom one made. Will this work? It seems like it would certainly be a lot easier and cheaper than getting a custom one made.

Also I wouldn't be looking for like 600+ hp initially or anything at all. Most likely just close to a stock RB25 + maybe exhaust and some tuning upgrades to start.

One more thing: would the stock 260z rear hold up to a stock RB25? If not, what would be the best option there?

1. I have the McKinney mounts on mine, but someone with the skill could easily fab up proper mounts.

2. A good driveshaft shop can do a proper job as long as you have the 25 trans slip yoke.

3. It can last if you drive with that intention, but hard launching and/or hard shifting can cause some serious damage.

Well it's just since most RB25s on like Ebay and importer sites come with the stock tranny it would be easier to just leave that on there. 
Of course, this will all have to wait kind of a while... I just realize that I don't make quite enough for this swap just yet. Maybe in a few years... although I might be able to do an L28 swap fairly soon. 

I have done many rb swaps in many different chassis, and it's always way more than you initially think. You either forget about things you need, have to fix worn/broken stuff you weren't expecting, or you get the "while I'm at it" bug. Take it from the guys who have done it, a proper rb car is really expensive.

• 2 months later...

Why not save your money for the rb? Do you have the l28 already?

On a side note i seen another member say the mckinney kit wasn't all that great?

I also read at some point you can use engine mounts from a different car like a jaguar or something not sure might be worth looking into

• 7 months later...

Sorry to drag on this topic however its about RB swapping questions:

i have two zcars:

1) 1972 with a mildly buit L28, + headers and 4 speed transmission with a POSI rear end

2) 1973 wide-body mint condition 260z Built internal L26 (Crown turbo kit) with a Bob-sharp racing 4 speed transmission (Clutch/ racing flywheel) and rear end

I have two RB25DET engines laying around my cousins speed shop and would like to bolt those engines into my cars while keeping their transmissions and rear ends. (Purpose is for practicality and the need for a daily driver / cutting costs)

Would that be possible ? I will use the engine mount kit and set up the fuel-tank/lines to accommodate as well as the radiator/intercooler.

Edited by uaedude

Sorry to drag on this topic however its about RB swapping questions:

i have two zcars:

1) 1972 with a mildly buit L28, + headers and 4 speed transmission with a POSI rear end

2) 1973 wide-body mint condition 260z Built internal L26 (Crown turbo kit) with a Bob-sharp racing 4 speed transmission (Clutch/ racing flywheel) and rear end

I have two RB25DET engines laying around my cousins speed shop and would like to bolt those engines into my cars while keeping their transmissions and rear ends. (Purpose is for practicality and the need for a daily driver / cutting costs)

Would that be possible ? I will use the engine mount kit and set up the fuel-tank/lines to accommodate as well as the radiator/intercooler.

I believe a search would have covered this. Here are your issues. The Datsun transmission won't bolt directly up to the Rb25. Since the RB20 had the 71C transmission, it's possible you could source the rb20 bell housing and try to get that to work with your transmissions, but by that point you will probably put the transmission mounts out of alignment. If you're going to do it, it's probably a lot less hassle to just use the rb25 transmission. Not to mention it's built like a tank. There is a plethora of information on the RB swap, so just search. The other major change that you need either a custom oil pan or attempt to convert yours to rear sump. Then of course all the goodies of wiring, exhaust, throttle cable, etc.

Good luck!