HybridZ

More Loudness

Onion

My current setup is a MSA 6-1 header, followed by 2.5" mandrel bent pipe with the least amount of bends as possible, when then goes to a Magnaflow muffler and that's it. This is what it sounds like now.

I'd like to go louder. Is there anything more I can do, or am I going to have to get rid of more bends and shorten the exhaust? I'm trying to find a Z with straight pipes, but I can't find one. If one of you guys has heard one run, how do they sound? 

Just clamp in a straight piece of pipe where your muffler is now to see how it sounds. If you do go straight pipes post up another video, I'd like to hear how it sounds too. I think your car would be plenty loud for me, but I do really like the sound of straight pipe cars in general. I just don't like to draw to much attention when driving around, especially from the police.

Just clamp in a straight piece of pipe where your muffler is now to see how it sounds. If you do go straight pipes post up another video, I'd like to hear how it sounds too. I think your car would be plenty loud for me, but I do really like the sound of straight pipe cars in general. I just don't like to draw to much attention when driving around, especially from the police.

I'd love to just test it like that, but that means I'd have to cut the muffler off, it's welded in place. I'll make a thread if I do modify my exhaust some more just so people can have a listen. 

Lots of people say the same about the loudness, and I agree that it is plenty loud, but I like a really loud raspy sound, which I think I'll get from straight pipes. 

The car does get loads of attention from the police, but they're really friendly up here, so I've had no real issues. I was parking in my university's garage, and the exhaust resonates a lot in there. One of the university officers pulled me over to tell me that I was setting off all kinds of car alarms and to try to not be so loud. We then proceeded to talk for like ten minutes about the car, popped the hood and everything, while his car was idling behind me with the lights on lol. 

Borla XR1 Raceline.

I like it!

Get rid of the bends after the differential, put a heat shield and megaphone straight out the back.

I ran a Corvair like that. Great fun when you're 17.

That must be pretty damn loud, I'll look into it, thanks Tony. 

Keep what you have, add cut-out, fender exit exhaust, done!

That might be pretty cool, but that would definitely ruin my paint and not be very reversible. 

Your problem is that you only have 1 pipe- you need double your pleasure with duals!

Are they noticeably louder? I went for a single because of the weight of extra piping. I shed quite a few pounds off my car. 

You can fix that with 3.90 gears!

I need to figure out what gears I have in my car. My speedo reads wrong. I've got the 5 speed with the big gap between first and second, and I think the original rear end. My gas mileage is a nightmare, though, so I'm not too keen on gears. I'm hitting almost 13 mpg now after tuning my carb and adjusting my timing. I was around 9-10. 

I recently returned to my buddy and found him time-travelled back to 1979 over the back of his Corvair trying to get it started  with two other dudes watching with beer-in-hand. It started  immediately after I laid hands on it and he took me for a drive, mentioning he "needed new exhausts".... I took a second, listened, said "Nah man, this sounds about right, why you going to F-this  up, you just want to spend money, or what?" He got all P.O. and said THE GODDAMNED MUFFLERS ARE RUSTED  OFF THE HEADERS DUDE!

I was like "NAH! B.S.!"

We got back to the house, with me HONESTLY thinking the car was running with decent exhaust sound, not thinking it needed anything. But sho'nuff, both mufflers were dangling by their rear hangers and the headpipe J-Bends were straight out not going into the mufflers AT ALL.

I just stood there for a second, said "I been spending too much time at the track!"

Megaphones were loud. But those puny peashooter 2" pipes weren't (at least from inside the car)... of course, the car with the megaphones had a stripped interior and a full cage for ice racing... it was a bit of an extreme car... I loved it.

I have mine setup with MSA header, about 1.5ft of 2.5" SS pipe into a Borla Pro XS, then to a 90 degree bent pipe right out the side of the car. There is about 4 ft from header to exit so it should be pretty loud. I should be able to start it up soon and I will try and post a video of it.