HybridZ

240z rb26 vs 280z rb26

ThatOneZ

In California 240z and 260z don't require smog inspections and are fair game for engine swaps. Only the 75 280z is smog exempt so the 76-78 280z require biannual smog's. RB's were never sold in the States, so it's never going to be a smog legal swap.

The other 49 states? 240z is lighter, and already looks like a 240z. Most modified 280z's got converted to look like 240z. I suspect that has something to do with it.

If I had to guess its probably because the 240 is prettier, its usually why people buy the 240 over the 280 in general, despite them being near identical once the bumpers come off.

In my opinion the 280z is more ready for the swap and the extra power then the 240.

I went with a 280 for my swap. The RB26 in my opinion is the one case where to me the 280 is the better foundation straight out the box as it were. Stiffer chassis, longer rails etc and as mentioned with a bumper swap and a couple mods are almost identical to an earlier model. Really I think its which ever one you can get in the best condition, modifying to suit is part of the game.