HybridZ

New Toy Another Project

tooquick260

I have a black 84 turbo with the same wheels ( off an anniversary ed. ) . Wish it's red , have enough black Zs already . It's sitting on the back burner for awhile , just needs a fuel tank , which I have  ( bought an 87 for parts ) . Just don't have time for her right now . Good luck with your new project .

You with black,,,,  We have the red 74 z , now a red 86 z , and just got rid of a 93 red z. Had a z from the 70's,80's and 90's. Now count mom's G35 and we have 4 decades of z's

Well the 86 was running on 5 cylinders when we got it. Found out it had bad spark wire, Pulled the plug and put a new one in with wire and it purrs like a kitten. Now onto the headlights. It has one up and one down. Can't get them both up at the same time or down. Something about resetting them. Heading to the pic n pay today. Found an 86 turbo junker that I am hoping for some parts that can be used. Missing some trim peaces on the dash. Rear deck lid shocks, front turn signals are gone. etc...

Drove it a lot yesterday. Checked a/c and compressor will click on with direct power. I am going to try to recharge system and see it takes. Maybe have a cool cruiser with a/c.

Convert it . R12 is very high if you can get it . They are a few things you will need with R134 conversion . I just converted one ( previous shop did a poor job ) , 86 turbo . works ok in Texas heat . Customer is happy . Could have been a lot better but customer didn't want to spend more money .

I have read that some just put r134 in and see if it leaks. 

Going to work on that today...

Headlights did not work. So I took the headlight switch out and cleaned the contacts. I got the passenger side to work low/hi. Passenger would come on on initial switch on then go out. So, cleaned them some more and the switch totally quit. 

There's a button on the left ( I think , it's been awhile ) side of your dash for headlight up/down function . Try it . Check your fusible links if there's no power to the headlight fuses and make sure the fuses are good .

Edited by Domzs

Misc wiring issue with the headlights. The switch was bad, it work only in the hi beam setting. So, got a replacement one and they work!!

Dad bought turn signals and the fog lights used on ebay. Should be here Monday and that will have everything electrical working. Just have to find the leak in the A/C. Also I think there are some leaks in the vacuum lines. Under hard acceleration it has warm air coming from under the dash. Also the fan does not move air out the center vents. Only the outside vents.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a vacuum tank on the core support. Start checking there and trace the hard line going into the firewall, near the heater core lines. Several of my Z31 have had cracks in the hard plastic line, and the tank itself is a common failure item for the HVAC system. If your car has the automatic climate controls, the diaphragms for the vent actuators could be leaking as well.

My LS swap car (88 with auto climate) does not have the vacuum tank anymore. Vents function normally except on hard acceleration or lugging at low speed. Then they default to hot defrost.

If you go the simple R134a swap route, at least replace the dryer and add some "conversion" oil to the system. It worked great for me for several years.

I don't know what a replacement headlight switch goes for these days, but a member on Z31 Performance offers rebuilt switches with OEM internals. I know you already got a replacement, but here's the link for future reference:

http://z31performance.com/forum/marketplace/networking-group-buys-links-parts-products/21850-headlights-switches-rebuild-service-with-new-oem-internals-for-both-kouki-zenki

Thanks for the light replacement link. We got the headlights to work. Just dealing with the lights going up and down. Have them permanently up now.

Great info on the hvac system. Car is a GL with manual a/c stuff. So will check the plastic lines and the vacuum tank for leaks. Car was already converted to r134a in 2005, sticker on the from core support.

What did you do for rear suspension on your v8 swap in the z31?

Suspension is pretty much stock. Poly bushings, stock rear, stock turbo axles, stock turbo springs, stock replacement shocks (I think they're KYB). Stock wheels with 225/50/16 Potenza all seasons. Best 60' was a 2.0551 with a manual, so I haven't ran into any problems yet. The stub axles are supposed to be the weak link in the rear. Some say they can take a beating as long as you don't get wheel hop.

I plan to swap for coilovers soon if money allows. I want Starion/Conquest wheels with some sort of drag radial setup as well. Stiffer springs are a must at minimum.

I don't know much about the manual HVAC system, but I think most of it is different from the auto stuff. Nissan service manuals are available in PDF format at xenonz31.com. There should be a diagram for the light motors as well.