HybridZ

Gen 1 SBC T56 Clutch Problems

OK So here is my issue guys. Finally got my car started after 3 years of intense work motor is a Gen 1 SBC 383 Trans is out of a 1994 Trans am and had been upgraded to stage 2. At First Start herd a clunking noise thought it was motor at first found out the be the clutch hitting something inside the bell housing pulled the slave cylinder to see if i was able to see if i was able to see what it was hitting, couldn't see much besides that the paint on the outer edge of the pressure plate was scratched off and a small groove in it. So I drove it around the block to see how it felt. By the time I got home when I press the clutch in it would not disengage the clutch. When car is off goes into all the gears fine but when started does not go into gear now. The slave cylinder is still opening the clutch I am sure of that, pedal still has pressure and i can watch it open it from the underside of the car. Going to end up pulling the trans in the next few days but just want to see if any of you guys have any idea whats going on. Hopefully that is enough info for you guys please ask me any questions that might help you better diagnose this. Thanks a lot, David

Just wondering if you have the proper pressure and clutch plate.  The T56 behind the SBC Gen 1 engine must have the specific LT-1 pressure and clutch plate that is a pull type pressure plate.  Additionally, the flywheel is also specific to the T56 application.  What year SBC engine is installed?  Which flywheel is being used?  Which pressure and clutch plate are being used?   Need more data to advise.

Just wondering if you have the proper pressure and clutch plate.  The T56 behind the SBC Gen 1 engine must have the specific LT-1 pressure and clutch plate that is a pull type pressure plate.  Additionally, the flywheel is also specific to the T56 application.  What year SBC engine is installed?  Which flywheel is being used?  Which pressure and clutch plate are being used?   Need more data to advise.

I am using the fidanza 198661 conversion flywheel and centerforce dfx clutch that is a pull type and pre 86 2 piece rms.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have any solutions on this issue, just some questions.  I am in the process of getting parts to mate my T56 to my Gen 1 SBC,  Are you using a mechanical or hydraulic clutch?  Have you found the source of the problem?  Which bell housing are you using?

• Like 1

Pulled it apart to find my pivot balls on the clutch came out of place and were just rolling around inside the pressure plate. The centerforce clutch will not be going back in and fidanza flywheel will be going up for sale. PM me if your interested has 4 miles on it.

Sounds like the pivot ball for the pressure plate disengage lever broke off.  Seems all it needs is a replacement pivot ball/shaft.  No need to get rid of the fidanza flywheel.  The centerforce clutch should also work with the replaced pivot ball/shaft.  Just need to remove the transmission from the bell-housing, then bolt it up to the block with the clutch and pressure plate installed, install the disengage arm, adjusting the pivot ball/shaft, for a very small amount of free play between the throw-out bearing and disengage arm.  I will be installing this same setup with a Gen 1 engine with a 1 piece rear main bearing.  Already have the external hydraulic slave cylinder from McCleod.  Going to order a Quicktime 9023 scatter-shield bell-housing and check it for dimensions against the GM cast aluminum bell-housing.

I don't have any solutions on this issue, just some questions. I am in the process of getting parts to mate my T56 to my Gen 1 SBC, Are you using a mechanical or hydraulic clutch? Have you found the source of the problem? Which bell housing are you using?

Bell housing is stock. Hydraulic clutch. I believe the problem is in my clutch fork.

Sounds like the pivot ball for the pressure plate disengage lever broke off. Seems all it needs is a replacement pivot ball/shaft. No need to get rid of the fidanza flywheel. The centerforce clutch should also work with the replaced pivot ball/shaft. Just need to remove the transmission from the bell-housing, then bolt it up to the block with the clutch and pressure plate installed, install the disengage arm, adjusting the pivot ball/shaft, for a very small amount of free play between the throw-out bearing and disengage arm. I will be installing this same setup with a Gen 1 engine with a 1 piece rear main bearing. Already have the external hydraulic slave cylinder from McCleod. Going to order a Quicktime 9023 scatter-shield bell-housing and check it for dimensions against the GM cast aluminum bell-housing.

Just gonna get the McLeod twin disc already sent back the centerforce.

• 5 weeks later...