HybridZ

Running hot

So it just started overheating? Maybe something is clogged? Steam vent ok? When I took my wife's car to get the timing belt changed there was a Toyota truck in there where a guy put the new radiator in and didn't take off the plug that was in the lower radiator port and it overheated and blew the head gasket.

Also maybe the thermostat is too low. If it stays open the water may not be in the radiator long enough to cool. That's where the water restrictors come into play. Isn't 160 a little low for an LS thermostat?

Nope.  I am running a 160 without issue and that is a common modification.

I mentioned it before but have you checked your lower radiator hose?  That sounds like it could be the culprit.  At lower speeds around town your engine is typically spinning fewer RPMs and thus your water pump is not spinning as fast (creating less suction, less flow).  As your RPMs rise at freeway speeds, you create more suction on the pump inlet and collapse the hose.

• 9 months later...

Well low and behold I drove the car to my friends shop that's around 50 miles of mainly highway driving, ran into some traffic on this 100 degree day and she overheated again. I have since swapped to a Mark VIII fan instead of the Taurus do to the fan dying on me some months ago.  I checked everything out and decided to order a new radiator, my Griffin is 15 yrs old, maybe just not cutting it anymore. I have tried everything but relocating the trans cooler somewhere else.

Lower fan has a sleeve and will not collapse so I know it's not that. I may remove the thermostat 160 degree and run a Moroso washer/reducer instead.  On another note, has anyone run header wrap to reduce under hood temps? This car gets hotter than hell under there!

I have a similar result in my z32. It doesn't overheat, but it runs a bit warmer on the highway than it does around town. I am running a 160 thermostat as well, and it carries around 200-205 on the interstate, and around 190-195 around town. I think it is a problem of airflow in the short Z32 engine bay, so I am going to add some vents in the hood as soon as I can find something that will look like it belongs on the car. I am also adding an 11x11x2 heat exchanger on the heater circuit with an 8 inch fan on it.