HybridZ

1970 series 1-Paint the engine bay black or color?

Question is pretty self explanatory, should I paint my engine bay the color of the car when I get it painted, or Should I paint it black/with some liner since its under the hood?

Im asking since Im planning out when im getting the car painted and putting the motor back in.  My wife says to paint it black if that will get the car on the road sooner, or for me since its a series one I should get it painted the same as the outside of the car.  Im not planning on selling my car, but you never know what the future will bring...

Why does it matter if its a series 1 or not? Sounds like you're modding it, so the originality factor goes out the window.

I was unsure of how messed up the engine bay would get when putting the motor back in and if any brae fluid spilled and such, ruining what was just painted.  Eventually I'll be building a L28 for some added power, but im more worried about the motor possible scratching up the paint.  Just me being a little nervous for the future. Since If it came to a point if I had to sell the car I can always switch the motor back to stock/original.  

Black always seemed to be the dunce's choice to me....if anything I painted them white. Makes dropped nuts and bolts show up easier, the light from that flashlight at 2AM on the roadside always seems brighter....

The last thing I wanted was an oil / fuel leak that was hard to identify...black making it difficult in the extreme. White makes it easy.

I don't get into the habit of constructing leaking pigs, so black for concealment purposes never really entered my mind. Being able to see when I'm in there was most important...

Worst photo I have of the coloured engine bay versus the Best photo I have of a black engine bay.
Colour coded shits all over a black bay.
The engine bay want completely back together when I took the top photo, so sorry about that.

1238379_10151641125265878_1861490963_n.j

385350_10150395989465878_52967113_n.jpg

471492_10150644077415878_1335542357_o.jp

Edited by Stivva

Paint it body color. it really looks much nicer. You will need to be more careful putting the engine in and working on it, but that's what blankets and mats are for.  if you scratch it, then you scratch it, just be careful.  You can always touch it up later.   I've always hated seeing a matt black engine bay on an otherwise  beautiful car. Paint is the whole reason my VQ isn't in my car right now.

Yup, just be careful. We were super careful when dropping the engine+trans into the green car, and we definitely had some CLOSE calls, but got it in there just fine. ;) As for brake fluid, it's just like any other car. Put some towels or rags down, or better yet, just use a funnel.

Wow!

This is super nice photos!

I prefer to have same color in engine bay and body as everyone said, but I will paint my car exterior first and paint engine bay later since I did not touch my engine bay yet.

Since you already remove your engine, it better to paint at once with same color. :icon10:

Worst photo I have of the coloured engine bay versus the Best photo I have of a black engine bay.
Colour coded shits all over a black bay.
The engine bay want completely back together when I took the top photo, so sorry about that.

1238379_10151641125265878_1861490963_n.j

385350_10150395989465878_52967113_n.jpg

471492_10150644077415878_1335542357_o.jp

Yeah, that's a good point, Tamo.  If you paint your engine bay and body on separate days or even months apart, you can get different shades of color, due to paint age, humidity, temperature.  So keep that in mind if you decide to do it separately.  The color will be close, but it's unlikely to be an exact match.

Yeah, that's a good point, Tamo.  If you paint your engine bay and body on separate days or even months apart, you can get different shades of color, due to paint age, humidity, temperature.  So keep that in mind if you decide to do it separately.  The color will be close, but it's unlikely to be an exact match.

Exact match? I'm sure it'll be close enough. It's that kind of OCD that makes a project last for many, many years... :P