HybridZ

The making of Zilla Z

Arif

Did you elongate the wheel width with the rear lca to fit the cv axles ?

That's the plan. According to T3 you can widen the track up to an inch with their LCA so that should be more than enough to prevent the axles from binding. Right now we're working on the rust and welding in the Bad Dog frame rails. Rust started forming on the outside of the block and I'm trying to decide if I should refresh the engine with new gaskets and get everything checked out while it's torn down. 

Edited by Arif

I got a chance to lay out the carbon fiber pieces in the daylight. I can't wait to get them bolted on but first we've got some body rust to take car of. 

20160107_185246.jpg

20160108_104546.jpg

20160108_104618.jpg

20160108_104654.jpg

20160108_105020.jpg

I also plan on runninga 350z or 370z 6 speed transmission and was looking at the Collins adapters. Does anyone have any experience running their stuff? I'm also looking for the shifter relocator as well.

Edited by Arif

• 3 weeks later...

The brake adapters finally arrived from Japan for the Z32 calipers. After fighting the suspension all day I finally figured out the AZC steering knuckles were on the wrong sides. Doh! After switching them around and replacing the wheel bearings I was in business. Now that I know everything is good, the calipers are off to the powder coater tomorrow.

20160131_140041.jpg

20160131_140157.jpg

I have sold a few colin's kits. Nothing for RB to VQ though. 

The adapter piece is nice, but you end up using a bunch of random parts.  You use the release bearing sleeve from a v6 200sx,and the VQ release bearing.

Shifter is definitely the hardest piece of the puzzle.  Plus it takes a few weeks before you get the parts.

EDIT:

I've ordered two 2jz kits, and one 1uz kit.  But I'd imagine it would be the same stuff for the RB stuff.

Edited by ihiryu

Thanks for the heads up on the adapters. I emailed them today and got a list of the parts I will need to be able to run the 350z or 370z transmission. Looks like I'll have to fabricate the transmission mount and shifter bracket. He did say that I could use the flywheel and clutch for the RB26. I was going to use a Southbend z31 clutch. Hopefully that will work because I hate selling new parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as with most projects there's going to be some set backs and this one is no different. My buddy was supposed to come over this weekend to weld in the passenger side frame rail. Since we had done the driver's side already I decided to bang in the old frame rail so the new one would slide over the top to save us some time this weekend. I finally got everything in place and notice some rust on the floor pan (big surprise). Long story short we had to postpone welding in the frame rails to deal with the floor pans.

20160212_135459.jpg

20160212_143725.jpg

I didn't want the weekend to go to waste so I decided to tackle the fenders flares. A huge thanks goes out to Lee Nash for documenting his fender flare installation here http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/96953-my-240-rb26-build/page-9#entry976894 It made the entire process a lot easier. 

20160213_175135.jpg

20160213_174843.jpg

20160214_141728.jpg

I couldn't find those threaded blind nuts so I'll have to order them online and finish installing the flares. Now when my buddy drops by he can weld the fenders together along with the floor pan and frame rail. Ah nothing like progress.

Edited by Arif

• 2 weeks later...

All the way from Australia! The RB30 has landed. Now to get the head off the RB26 and freshen everything up. I plan to get the rings and bearings replaced along with getting a valve job on the head and a crank collar pressed on. Then swap all the ancillary parts I had already bought for the RB26 such as the Nitto oil pump and OEM water pump. I had to order the timing belt from England and the crank collar from Australia. Hopefully they'll be here next week. While everything is at the machine shop I'll be able to clean and paint the engine bay. Still pushing for it to be ready this summer.

20160303_145718.jpg

20160303_145728.jpg

After four months my fenders, cowl and headlight buckets have finally arrived from Retro Spec. There's not all lot of room in the garage so I'm storing them on the car for now. The weave is a little wavy and patched on one of the headlight bucket on the top but all the other parts look great. The fenders were already cut for the fender flares by Retro Spec so that will save me from having to cut the fenders. I'm still prepping the engine bay before I paint it (maybe this weekend) but should have everything permanently mounted next week. The engine should go to the machine shop on Friday as well. Progress.

20160316_170922.jpg

20160316_170953.jpg

20160316_171009.jpg