HybridZ

The making of Zilla Z

Arif

Well I think I'm averaging one post a year so here it is. First I'd like to thank those that pointed out the issues with the roll cage. When I took the car to the fabricator he mentioned the same thing and even said it was dangerous. So for those looking to follow in my footsteps don't install the cage like that.

Now to the fun stuff. The car spent 3 months at the fabricator getting the following items taken care of:

1. Custom intercooler mount and piping

2. Radiator mounted along with piping

3. Full exhaust off the downpipes

4. Modified the 350z bellhousing to accept the Collins Adapter, custom shifter linkeage and Datsun Roadster starter

5. Modified diff mount

6. Mounted S2000 seats

7. Complete AC system!!

I'll install the front airdam, driveshaft, pulleys before it heads off for tuning. It's looking like I'll be able to get it tuned in a couple months after my car fund recovers. 

24250860_1687056031325551_1547900609_o.jpg

25673085_1708662135831607_683981391_o (1).jpg

26133889_1715558995141921_958889175_o.jpg

26133869_1715558965141924_2010068956_o.jpg

24259360_1687056064658881_1429760322_o.jpg

20180105_180651.jpg

20180105_180905.jpg

20180105_181432.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, boosted300 said:

How is this project coming along?  

Also a question:  did you get the baffled Treadstone end tanks?

I'm getting really close to getting it tuned. Just need to wire up the fan, order driveshaft, install throttle cable and a few more items. I've also got a Z32  and a AMG CLS63 that needed some attention which slowed me down a bit. Hopefully I've be on the road with it by May. The Treadstone IC I bought didn't have the baffle as an option. Do you know what the benefit of having it is?

17 hours ago, Arif said:

I'm getting really close to getting it tuned. Just need to wire up the fan, order driveshaft, install throttle cable and a few more items. I've also got a Z32  and a AMG CLS63 that needed some attention which slowed me down a bit. Hopefully I've be on the road with it by May. The Treadstone IC I bought didn't have the baffle as an option. Do you know what the benefit of having it is?

Yes, it helps to spread the flow of the air through the entire core of the intercooler to maximize efficiency.  

And I know what you mean...I have Z31 that has been sorely neglected because of my S30...but I WISH I had a CLS63! 

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Cheers

6 hours ago, boosted300 said:

Yes, it helps to spread the flow of the air through the entire core of the intercooler to maximize efficiency.  

And I know what you mean...I have Z31 that has been sorely neglected because of my S30...but I WISH I had a CLS63! 

Good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Cheers

Ah ok. I have the TR1235 which has a divider on the inlet. I see you went with the Bell intercooler. Their shop is about 20 minutes from my house. Our Z club had a tech day there a few years ago. Corky is a legend in the turbo game.

The CLS63 is a lot of fun. It's a 2007 model and I took it into the shop to get an estimate to get some work done on it and let's just say I brought the car back home after that quote. I learned how to replace the intake manifold gasket, PCV valve, front air struts and window regulators. They aren't that hard to work on but labor is ridiculously expensive.

20180315_183949.jpg

20180315_160214.jpg

Just realized I hadn't shared the transmission (CD009)set up. I used the forward mount CBF shifter relocator with the adjustable lever. This put the shifter in the perfect spot for me. I also used the Collins adapter and a Datsun SPL311 starter which required additional cutting on the bellhousing. 

Before I forget. Originally my plan was to use the RB25 bellhousing with the Z32 transmission. Eventually I changed my mind and went with the 350z transmission. I had already bought the TT clutch for the Z32 so here I was stuck with a clutch I had never used. I decided to call Southbend to see if they would be willing to swap clutches and to my surprised they agreed! All I had to do was pay to ship the Z32 clutch to them. Now that's amazing customer service. 

20180316_222733.jpg

20180316_222944.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, Arif said:

Ah ok. I have the TR1235 which has a divider on the inlet. 

Yes, actually that's what I meant to say, the baffle is the divider...which is great that you have it because it really makes a big difference in efficiency.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:50 PM, Arif said:

Just realized I hadn't shared the transmission (CD009)set up. I used the forward mount CBF shifter relocator with the adjustable lever. This put the shifter in the perfect spot for me. I also used the Collins adapter and a Datsun SPL311 starter which required additional cutting on the bellhousing. 

Before I forget. Originally my plan was to use the RB25 bellhousing with the Z32 transmission. Eventually I changed my mind and went with the 350z transmission. I had already bought the TT clutch for the Z32 so here I was stuck with a clutch I had never used. I decided to call Southbend to see if they would be willing to swap clutches and to my surprised they agreed! All I had to do was pay to ship the Z32 clutch to them. Now that's amazing customer service. 

So wait, now I know I have missed some good stuff on this forum...I didn't know you could use a Z32 or 350Z transmission with the RB25...that is killer.  

Nice to know there are options.

23 hours ago, boosted300 said:

So wait, now I know I have missed some good stuff on this forum...I didn't know you could use a Z32 or 350Z transmission with the RB25...that is killer.  

Nice to know there are options.

Yep. I figured why not get the extra gear of the 350z trans. They also hold a lot of power too (800hp) so I should be more than good. The biggest drawback is that there is no output for the speedo cable so I'll need to run a Speedhut GPS speedo. 

Edited by Arif

19 hours ago, Ereschkigal said:

A friend swapped in the 350z transmission in a S13 and used a sensor on the prop shaft to read the speed, but if it will be electrical anyway, it should be easier with the GPS speedo.

I hadn't heard about using a sensor on the prop shaft. Do you have any other details about the set up?

15 hours ago, Ereschkigal said:

The picture is not of my friends swap but the same workshop.

Edit: Honeywell magnet sensor with multiple odd-numbered permanent magnets on the prop shaft

That's a great idea. I've heard from other users of the Speedhut GPS speedo is that sometimes it loses connection in certain place so this would be a better solution. Thanks for sharing.

• 5 months later...

Holy smokes Arif this is amazing!  Your Z and mine are basically clones drivetrain wise!  I've got a built RB26 with a big single turbo swap and I'm running the CD009 out of a 350Z with a collins performance adapter!

I haven't had a chance to install it yet as I'm still handling some chassis upgrades/rust repair.  How does the cbf shifter fit?  It looks like it's a touch forward in the hole.  Also, how does it install?

Keep this thread alive!  It's awesome seeing such a similar build happening at the same time as me

On 9/17/2018 at 12:42 PM, KevvinG said:

Thanks Kevin! It's been a long road that hopefully I'm closer to the end.

The shifter fits great however I do need to follow up with them to see why the shifting is so sloppy. I think I'm missing something.

I'm running an old SDS engine mgt system that was used on my old L28et. I need to call SDS to see about getting a new wiring harness. If it's an easy swap I'll stick with it but if it requires a lot of hacking I'll go with something more modern. That's the final piece of the puzzle to solve then it's off to tuning.

18 hours ago, Arif said:

Thanks Kevin! It's been a long road that hopefully I'm closer to the end.

The shifter fits great however I do need to follow up with them to see why the shifting is so sloppy. I think I'm missing something.

I'm running an old SDS engine mgt system that was used on my old L28et. I need to call SDS to see about getting a new wiring harness. If it's an easy swap I'll stick with it but if it requires a lot of hacking I'll go with something more modern. That's the final piece of the puzzle to solve then it's off to tuning.

Please keep this thread posted with CBF's response re: the sloppy shifter!  I'm looking to see if I can find a rear mount shifter that would still fit before I spend the big $$ on the CBF forward mount shifter!

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2016 at 8:14 PM, Arif said:

I'm thinking about ditching my SDS EMS and going with AEM or Haltech. I found a used AEM 30-6620 V2 for sale. Looking for feedback from anyone running this EMS. My plans are to use traction control, built in boost controller and boost by gear since I'm sure traction will be an issue.

I think SDS is a bit outdated for this motor. IT works and works decent but its pretty old school EFI I think its got like 6x6 fuel maps . ECU masters, Haltech and megasquirt are all good choices.  Keep up the good work though

5 hours ago, softopz said:

I think SDS is a bit outdated for this motor. IT works and works decent but its pretty old school EFI I think its got like 6x6 fuel maps . ECU masters, Haltech and megasquirt are all good choices.  Keep up the good work though

It's a 20 year old SDS set up but the motor is older than that so we'll see. I'm going to run it for now to get it on the road. Maybe in the future I'll switch it out to something more updated with e85, launch control, etc.