HybridZ

280z 5.3 Turbo Build

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next challenge to keeping your heater is the knee bar on your roll cage. It is do hard to build a car that does everything well. I go, "lets modify this-no can't do that. Then lets modify this other thing-no can't change that, either." Compromise is a cruel mistress. The factory engineers are probably best at it, then we go mucking it up!

Got a little done tonight. Built a radiator and intercooler out of some foam I had laying around. This further reinforced the need to cut out some core support.

Here it is after the bottom half of the core support has been removed.

IMG_20131105_211715_313_zpse8bb53cb.jpg

As you can see, this really opens up the engine bay.  I'll likely end up cutting it all out, and making a new one out of sheet metal.  This will also go over the radiator in the rear, and become the shroud for the E fan to mount to. That is the current plan anyway.

IMG_20131105_211734_344_zps93b64454.jpg

I also made an intercooler out of foam. Use your imagination.

IMG_20131105_213730_455_zps56c1f822.jpg

Got a quote back from Howe on the radiator. 385 bones with AN fittings all around (not sure if i'll go that way yet as the hoses are BIG money).  I'm going to put off ordering it until I get the snail mounted (be here tomorrow!!!) so I can for sure get my outlets where they need to go.

Sweet!!

When mounting the turbo up front looks like you are going the same direction we had to go with my car... rad and intercooler more forward and removing the lower rad support, as well as using 2 of the pass side truck manifolds flipped... Looking good!! 

Bends showed up today, so I was able to get to work on a couple small things. Started with my 3" to 4" transition for my downpipe. Bought this 2.25"-4" cone from columbia river, and had the v band.

IMG_20131112_193934_830_zpsf1629647.jpg

High tech, precision scribing device

IMG_20131112_195040_841_zpsdacc95eb.jpg

Cut using cutoff wheel on 4" angle grinder, and cleaned up

IMG_20131112_201337_181_zps32a62ec3.jpg

Finished Product:

IMG_20131112_203833_016_zps684b52b3.jpg

Do you have room for a full 4" exhaust, or will you be dumping out the side?

We couldn't fit a 4-incher between the engine mounts and the starter, and still notched the frame rail slightly, just to squeeze a 3-inch between the rail and the starter...

BTW, impressive fabrication skills... Really like the high tech scribing device :-)

Do you have room for a full 4" exhaust, or will you be dumping out the side?

We couldn't fit a 4-incher between the engine mounts and the starter, and still notched the frame rail slightly, just to squeeze a 3-inch between the rail and the starter...

BTW, impressive fabrication skills... Really like the high tech scribing device :-)

Thanks!

I'm going to be building my own mounts and ditching the JCI setup, so there should be room. I'll be going under the starter, so that shouldn't be an issue. I probably have more room going past the trans though, with a t56, and being a 280z.