HybridZ

ID this turbo?

beaniam

I recently picked up a 77 280z turbo project and now I'm doing the clutch and exhaust.  I'm going 3" but the down pipe is 2.5"  PO told me the turbo was out of an r33 but I don't know anything other than that.  I can't find any numbers with a flashlight and a mirror unless I'm looking at the wrong place.  Only "Nissan" on the compressor housing.  Can't find an ID plate.  The exhaust side flange is 6 bolts.  There's a plate on the down pipe that says something like "top speed performance".

IMG_20131025_111633.jpg

IMG_20131025_111855.jpg

First shot from the top, second from the bottom.  Should I bother trying to find a 3" downpipe once I ID this turbo or just go 3" from the existing 2.5".

The middle left bolt is locked up and will have to be sheared off just to get it off, but that's just the tip of the "rigged things" iceberg that I've been correcting as I go along.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with a 2,5" do why need to change ? You could just transition to 3" by transmission that's what most of us run. Looks like you have a 2.5 out. I do find it interesting how the wastegate dump is done on this especially since its an internal gate. Maybe I haven't been around long enough.

A few months ago I figured out this was an rb25det turbo.  I've since built a 3" exhaust with a 2.5 to 3" transition at the downpipe.  I'm not planning on keeping this turbo from what I've read about the glue on the ceramic wheel giving out at above 14psi which I'm at now.

• 2 weeks later...

Running more than 12psi through those stock RB turbos is generally a no-no. I'd dial that boost down a bit until you upgrade it. Unless you want to blow it up. I know of a few people who have been "oh 15psi is fine. I dont know what these people are talking about" (not you, but people I know) and maybe a week to a month at the most they are in the market for a new turbo.

Jesus. Where did you pull this out of. What makes you think a Ford "stage 3" turbine housing bolts up to what is clearly a R33 Rb25det turbo?!

Because T3/T4 crap readily interchanges between brands?

And that was "JeffP" not "Jesus" who posted it...turn your autocorrect off.