HybridZ

75 280Z Project...I have a feeling it'll be a long one!

Hey everyone, I recently just traded my convertible 240sx for a 280z, If you look at both cars, mechanically and body condition, the other guy got the better end of the trade....but I always wanted a Z, so it was well worth the trade!

null_zpsc66d2a3b.jpg

That was the 240...it was put back to stock, and then traded for this...

null_zpsf324c605.jpg

I drove 3 hours from Fort Lauderdale, to Orlando to get it. Didn't want to risk driving it home, since the owner told me the car had a slight hesitation...which ended up being a bad injector.

As of now, the immediate plans are:

• Get engine running 100% (maybe even 95%)
  • Replace suspension bushing
  • Start fixing rust

Engine hesitation turned out to be a bad injector. So instead of doing what any normal person would do and just change out that bad injector, I decided I didn't like the stock fuel "rail" so I pulled off the whole intake manifold and sent it off to a friend to make me a rail, and put some better injectors on it.

What a rat's nest. This is a CA car, so I'm assuming it's got extra emissions stuff I will need to get rid of.

null_zps502fffde.jpg

That's better.

null_zpsbec565c9.jpg

See you in a few weeks manifold.

null_zps57360f90.jpg

I also decided that the rear park bench, erm, I mean bumper, had to go. I will go with the bumper-less look, and eventually fill in the holes.null_zps606cb1ea.jpg

Gas tank came out to get repainted since it had a lot of gold overspray on it.

null_zps37a78952.jpg

And while that was out, I might as well fix the rust in the spare tire well.

null_zpsad78e765.jpg

Didn't look all that bad, but as I welded one patch panel, more would blow through...and this is what I ended up with. At least it;s in the trunk and no one really sees it.

null_zps98e595ff.jpg

Gas tank painted and back in.

null_zpse70b72da.jpg

That's it for now. This is what I've been doing in the last week.

I've still got a long way to go with this car until it's something I like. I do have a set of S13 Tein Flex coilovers that will go on the car at some point, but first I'd like to get it driving right. 

It should be a fun project!

Serban

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben, thanks for the info. I just checked out black dragon and ordered a catalog :)

Adam, the interior isn't too bad. It's very complete. But the dash is a bit crappy. Someone tried to repair it but quickly gave up. Seat covers have been replaced with cloth ones and they are in pretty good shape. Steering wheel is trashed.

null_zps5139d28a.jpg

null_zpseee43f41.jpg

null_zpsc395b4e6.jpg

Some of the major rust problem areas are the lower real quarters.

null_zpsb57d85be.jpg

null_zps7cbbce9e.jpg

The front was a bit bashed up as well. I'm hoping once I get an airdam it'll hide that.

null_zps9aca7bbb.jpg

Here's some small engine parts cleanup. The thermostat housing looks like it belongs on the titanic. So I pulled it off to clean it.

null_zps7078283a.jpg

This water fitting was a mess. Not even sure how water got through it.

null_zps8af7404e.jpg

null_zps34ec7de7.jpg

All cleaned up. Just waiting on some gaskets to put it all back together.

null_zps38ec8acf.jpg

I've already found someone on here who will sell me the two lower sections. As for the bumper, it was me. I pulled it off the second day after I bought the car :)

I started doing a patch panel with some left over sheet metal I had.

null_zps03ffe1af.jpg

null_zps6db7b24f.jpg

null_zps9883dc49.jpg

And pulled the trim off the driver side. Looks a lot better without it.

null_zpsba48ee7a.jpg

null_zps63042340.jpg

Serban, you are officially my automotive doppelganger. Who else has owned a B13 se-r, NX2000, S13 240sx, Mazdaspeed3 & now an S30?! :icon53:

That's actually very funny. Never thought about that.

By the way, do you have any knowledge on topic of coilover tubes? I've got my Tein Flex setup from the S13 I'd like to transplant on the 280.

Few more updates, the rear holes are all welded in. Next up, grind them down and start smoothing out the rear.

null_zpse1a3d984.jpg

Changed the rear inner control arm bushings. Could not for the life of me separate the control arm from the spindle...so I dropped the whole thing.

null_zps7c281453.jpg

Bushing was not there, it was just the metal sleeve.

null_zpsdf1fbe5d.jpg

But more importantly, my manifold came back with a new rail and new set of o-ring injectors!

null_zpsf00f2949.jpg

I stripped it down and sand blasted it! Much better now.

null_zpscb48f9fb.jpg

And I slowly started putting everything back together.

null_zpsa6311c59.jpg

null_zps7d3dff14.jpg

null_zps3f472c34.jpg

null_zps4c5f1a7c.jpg

null_zps9679e740.jpg

null_zps797df299.jpg

I am still waiting on injector pigtails. Still need to run the fuel lines and regulator, and reconnect all the intake hoses on top.

By the way, do you guys usually keep that heatshield between the intake and exhaust manifold on? I was thinking of leaving it off, but some of the wires may run close to the exhaust manifold.

And if anyone is interested in the fuel rail and injector combo, fee free to contact me. My guy is setup to make these now.

Edited by Serban

Friday was the day my injector pigtails showed up, I crudely wired them up just to see if the car will start. And it did, so I called it quits for the night and got back to working on it Saturday morning.

I took it for a short drive, fumigating the entire neighborhood at no charge. I got back home and decided to let it idle for a bit, maybe the crap will work its way out. It didn't get any better, lots of white smoke, followed shortly by what looked like diarrhea coming out of every hole in that 38 year old muffler.

null_zps63de7762.jpg

I thought for sure  the head gasket was toast, and all the coolant was making its way out of the engine, but it smelled a lot like fuel.

So I further investigated, and found the culprit...one injector that's stuck open and just pushes fuel out as fast as it can. It will do this until there's no more fuel pressure in the system.

null_zps472c0f00.jpg

This is happening with the injector unplugged by the way. So now I wait for a replacement injector to arrive.

On a positive note, the car did get to leave the garage for a few minutes :)

null_zps9af21102.jpg

Edited by Serban

Looking good so far. Love the look of the sandblasted manifold with the custom fuel rail. What kind of injectors did you use? I'm fairly certain my stock injectors are leaking and I was going to upgrade my injectors and fuel rail later anyway when I'm ready to turbo the car. What sort of price does your guy charge? Maybe I'll just swap rails and injectors now...

Oil change is definitely on the list. Did a compression test just to see if it was ok, all spark plugs removed, throttle open on a cold engine.

441A9AB1-9C21-41B8-94AE-1289F7B93E78_zps

EF95697C-DFE7-499F-A668-42A03BEE5FD6_zps

The pcv valve was stuck. So I cleaned it out and put it back. I let the car idle a few minutes in the garage and it still smokes. I didn't see any oil coming from the muffler yet, so I don't know if the pcv was the problem and this is just residual oil burning off, or I didn't let it run long enough to activate the smoke screen, but I'll get to play with it a little more this weekend.

Edited by Serban

• 2 months later...

I've been busy with the car the last few months, lots of little repairs, and I've been driving it around a few times a week. It drinks through gas like crazy!

Rock Auto has become by favorite place to shop for parts

I've changed the following:

• Left front caliper
  • Brake shoes
  • 4 new brake lines
  • Lower ball joints
  • Outer tie rod ends
  • Rack boots
  • Sway bushings
  • End links
  • ...and probably more stuff I'm forgetting

All that for less than $200

Finally picked up a set of wheels. Not 100% sure on the brand, but I'm guessing Konig Rewinds. They even came with race tires. Wheels are 15x7 with 0 offset. Tires are 225/45/15. I'm planning on getting some 225/50 tires to replace these.

1FDAA3CD-D192-4FC4-AAEF-6080719F5F2C_zps

E5E912A2-0A7B-4951-9D97-D9AB243E1FCF_zps

F011AA74-C654-48B9-96BE-34BAF63BD89D_zps

I even put the fart can from my 240SX exhaust on. It's temporary, but its better than original swiss cheese one.

781FF740-3F52-4C54-9F29-1B91B168559F_zps

Fresh front end, no more play in the wheel.

8B358F00-C2AB-4293-934E-F994E242119E_zps

Dash cap that I got for Christmas

1B4F7205-8E54-413F-A501-874EDB78715E_zps

And I moved the wideband gauge up where the clock was, since it doesn't work :( But now I have room for a radio!

646214D9-04E0-41E4-ACE0-3D0361EBA738_zps

Edited by Serban