HybridZ

LS1 5.7 The journey begins

Well, my 78 is in the body shop getting the engine compartment blasted and painted to match the rest of the new gold paint on the car. Bought a 99 Z28 LS1 5.7 with 43k miles with a 4L60E trans on ebay just a few hours away. The setup comes with the original ecm with harness and a brand new ecm with everything deleted that I need along with a new harness with stand alone fuse block. Also comes with a set of headers for the Z28 that I can sell on ebay for 50 bucks or so. Got my JCI order sheet all filled out and ready to send in and I'm hoping she will be all back together before XMAS. I've got a good local shop that has done many LS 1,2,3,swaps. I'm taking the trailer Tues to pick up the parts. This is a great site for info and will post pics as the work progresses

Headwest-try calling them if a contact number is available on the website.  This is a new product for them and websites often lag behind by months.

socorob-I PM'd the dude at Hawks.  He didn't know if his headers would fit with the JCI kit or not (he didn't have a JCI car to try them on).  So, I guess it still has to be determined.  He did say that the Hawk headers fit both the 240z and 280z, but his mounts were required.  The first long-tube group buy headers fit a 280z, but require modification to fit a 240z.  You would have to find a member of that first group buy to get a set from as the dude making them dropped the ball and quit making them.

I have the headers on my car. And love them amazing how a set of big tube headers fit in the car. So well . Unbolted my motor mounts raised it about an inch or two and they went right in. You do have to remove the steering shaft butt no issues to report. I do have a 9 k lift n my garage so guess Im cheating a little will post pics later

• 1 month later...

UPDATE! The LS1 and 4L60E is all bolted down into the beautiful engine bay that was restored and looks factory fresh. When I stopped by the shop this morning, the guys had the 4 core radiator back in with the fans back on. They had the new, modified ECM and new wiring harness laid out and ready to be installed. They still have to separate the old harness and reuse a few of the old wires for the starter, A/C ect. I told them I was very anxious to hear the engine fire up since I bought it used with 40k miles on it and they told me not to worry. They said it spun freely and had good compression and from the looks of the heads, ect. they were pretty sure the miles were right. Their going to install the new fuel pump and controller and get the new fuel line hooked up and said it would be ready to fire up before the New Year. Although I'm 60 now and have had over a hundred cars in my life, most of them performance cars, I feel like I'm 14 again when I bought my first car in Salem VA. It was a 56 chevy with a 283 out of a vette as I remember with a three speed on the floor and 4.11 posi. What a car. Bought it for 250 hard to come by dollars from an old lady on a farm. Although  it was over 45 years ago, that old feeling of excitement is coming back. My mechanic has dozens of pictures that I'll post once it's back home, can't wait. 

You are right plata, a picture is worth a thousand words. Although I know nothing about loading pictures and very little about how to use this site, I did start an album with a meager 5 pictures. Hopefully as I add more it will become easier and I can keep the project up to date visually. I titled the album " THE JOURNEY BEGINS" but I have to learn how to add pics to topics ect. Any advise on how to do it will be appreciated so hopefully my thread will not remain WORTHLESS.