HybridZ

Other R series transmissions with 2jz?

new2Zs

Hey everyone,

From the info I gather it seems that everyone puts a w58 or r154 transmission with their 2jz swap, unless you can afford a v160.

So I was wondering has anyone put a R150 or R155 tranny behind a 2jz and can they handle any power? Around here its easier to find a truck tranny.  From my research it seems like you can use a 1jz bell housing with either those 2 or the r154 transmission. 

Or if you can point me in the right direction for more reading that would be appreciated too.

How tall are you. Im 6'1" and sit in a bride low max all the way back, i have a mkiii r154 and its way too far forward for me. In a z you want an r154 with the tripod shifter or a saturn sky/pontiac solstice tranny. They're about 6 inches longer than a mkiii trans. The truck trans all have transfercases built into the tail section, you can swap the tail section for an r154 tail but its really not awesome because the gearing is pretty short. Im currently working on an e30 trans adapter. Should be an awesome affordable option.

Right on!! From what I read the r150 came in 2wd trucks with the v6 so I was gonna look around for one of those. Really I was wondering if u can in fact swap the bell housings with a 1jz motor like the r154, and are they as strong.

The e30 tranny would be cool can the Handle the power?

Edited by new2Zs

I know the e30 drivetrain is pretty legit. They are spec raced a lot. Strong rear ends and trannys, I have just never heard of anyone putting any power through them, but then again I don't frequent the beemer forums.  

When you think you will be done with the adaptor?  

Also on a side note, it seems like most of the single disc clutches only hold 450-500hp. can you recommend a good clutch that won't break the bank but can handle 600?

my personal belief is that if you plan to run 450+ hp, a super single or multidisk clutch is the only way to go. but be realistic with yourself. an ACT stage 3 will hold like 460 ft lbs or something, and cost like 4-500$ a super single will be around 1500$, a multidisk setup will be even more than that. how soon do you expect to make 600? you can run 300hp on stock clutch. dont misunderstand me, im not doubting you, but the likelyhood of you making 600hp in the next three years is slim and none. if you do, upgrade the clutch then.

Thats what i was figuring, 600 is just a number. i've driven 500hp+ cars that were really easy to control, but I've never done it in a Z so I might be happy with less.  I'd just hate to build it up and then after a month turn up the boost and have it slip like crazy, then have to pull the tranny and do a clutch job when I could have done it right in the first place.  

Then again, 400 is a lot cheaper than 1500+ and it would get the car on the road quicker……Decisions decisions!!! 

thanks for the input!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just be carful with the multi disks setup. Where the single disks may slip some, they save your transmission. If you clutch latched perfect and doesn't move the transmission takes all the force.  I have an older 1993 mustang fox body coupe with a newer 2004 4.6 4V cobra engine. I have a single 11" clutch. Car makes 525 hp 500 tq and I launch it at 4500-5000 on drag radials and it bites hard.

• 3 months later...

hey ryan whats it like driving that single on the street?  For now i'm going to throw the stock clutch in it.  Im dying to get this thing driving and my pocket book is just plain dying.  So i'm going to get it in and figure out all the wiring for megasquirt, then pull it apart, cause i probably need a rebuild on the engine and tranny anyways. 

Any word on functionality with the Aisan ar5 solstice transmission in a Z. I've heard the shifters are about 6 inches back from the MK3 r154's but that doesnt seem like too big of an issue especially if you sit far back like someone was saying earlier. I'd accept a shifter a little far back for an improved R154 at about the same price for a mk3 one. And not to mention biting the bullet on if it has had the first gear thrust washer replaced because I've heard of a few utterly grenading from not replacing them

hey ryan whats it like driving that single on the street?  For now i'm going to throw the stock clutch in it.  Im dying to get this thing driving and my pocket book is just plain dying.  So i'm going to get it in and figure out all the wiring for megasquirt, then pull it apart, cause i probably need a rebuild on the engine and tranny anyways. 

Mine drives like a stock car with just slightly more bite off line than stock. Pedal pressure is about the same as stock.

• 1 month later...

Where are you getting this "good clutch selection"? Curious.

Collins offers a few stages 425, 700 or 800 and 1000+ but wish it was closer to 500 hp. Been waiting to get pick up the adapter, I know some supra guys piece together from the 4runner, mr2, and sr motor.

I made the choice a long time ago to go 350z but haven't reached that point of getting it. The v160 is 2x the 350 swap, the r154 gets close to 2k easily and shifts like a truck and the w58 is garbage. Solstice trans or t56 was iffy for me but figure id stick to the z33 trans. My friend has this set up and shifts like butter, hasn't driven yet though..

You can get south bend clutch, its cheap.   Or a spec twin disk for $1200 that will handle 700-1200wtq. That's what I will be buying.  And the adapter plate did come in today!!  :D But if your picky about pedal feel and engagement(which I'm not) then you might have to shop around.  All I care that it does not slip.  I went with a Maveric Motorsports adapter.  You can run any 350z clutch with it. If you pick up his flywheel(I think)  I kind of did not care about that part, because I was set on that spec twin disk.