HybridZ

Loophole to get motor swapped 77 & 78 Datsun 280z thru California smog inspection

If I move to California but don't sell my old house in another state. Can I leave my cars registered there and not be hassled? Or are vehicles with out of state license plates still subject to referee inspections?

Not only would your car have to be registered outside of California, your insurance and driver license would have to be out of state as well. Basically, I think your California home can not be your primary residence.

Illinois Plates will draw attention unless you are military or near military installations (and even then they have to pass smog to get base stickers now!)

Law says 10 days you gotta get license and blah blah... Eventually as John C says, local people will recognize you. California lets you garage vehicles in other states, they will collect fees and give you a CA plate for a truck garaged in Michigan...and not smog it. Which somehow seems wrong. But since you are a 'resident' of CA, then that state is due the revenues on a private vehicle. 

Out of state garaging has them sending you the registration and all documents to that address, too. Then you end up with CA plates in Michigan and the local cops hassling you there instead!

Try being me.... I'm nowhere more than 30 days at a time... yet I'm hammered on taxes from all sides!

Ugh, if I ever have to move to Cali, I'm keeping my license and address in Illinois to avoid all this smog and inspection BS. We don't have to do ANY kind of inspection or smog test here if your car is pre OBD2 (1996)

If the cops pull me over because I'm out of state, so be it, I'll have my Illinois license.

Edited by osirus9