HybridZ

Muncie/T-10/Saginaw in a Z Car

mr_han_solo

Hello,

I am looking to put a Muncie/T-10/Saginaw in my '73 240z. The car is currently an automatic. I have the pedal assembly, master cylinder, and slave from a donor 280z. I was wondering what my choices are as far as clutch and pedal linkage go.  I have done some searching and most of the documentation is on a hydraulic throwout bearing. However, I have seen some posts on using a slave setup, and a non-hydraulic mechanical linkage. However, in the posts nobody provides any information on how to do the setup using these methods. I was hoping someone could explain all of this so I could choose which way is the best option for my car.

Thanks,

Han

Hi Han,

I have a Super T10 behind a 327 in my car with a hydraulic setup. I'm using an old truck bell housing and clutch fork, s10 blazer slave cylinder, and a 13/16" clutch master cylinder (not sure what it's from). The Super t10 has a 26 spline input shaft so I'm using the clutch kit for 88 camaro with a 305. It is a 10.4" clutch.

I'm replacing the ST10 with a WC T5 this winter to gain overdrive though. 

Rob

Edited by Rob240z

Sweet deal, now let me ask you one or two more more questions.  After looking at this and the T-5 bell-housing I have notices that the only real difference is the location and angle of the clutch fork. Is this enough of a difference to keep a Muncie/T10 from working with a T-5 bellhousing?

Did you use the scarab or JTR method to mount your engine? The reason I ask is because I was wondering where the shifter location ended up. Did you have to modify the hole or your tunnel?

Thanks a ton man!

The clutch fork angle should work fine. Which T5 bell housing you are using would make a difference though. The camaro t5 bell housing mounts the transmission at an angle. The transmission won't sit level like a T10 normally would. I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not.

My engine uses the old Hooker mounts. They are just like the scarab mounts. I did flip them around though which sets them back a little more than the normal scarab location. The side mount shifter on the t10 is in front of the shifter hole. I'm using a rear offset shifter (about 4") to make it come up in the correct spot.

I had a Saginaw transmission in the  first 240Z V8 I bought. The engine was in the SCARAB position.

The shifter position was way forward and close to the dash.

The first thing I did was to remount the engine lower and closer to the firewall and replaced the Saginaw with a WC T5 transmision.  I sold the Saginaw to a circle track racer.

The T5 shifter position is much closer to the stock location and the 15 deg. tilt is not noticable.  I did the same set up on my second 240Z V8 project.

The tilt of the T5 is not a problem.  I tried after market shifters that angle the shifter to make up for the tilt, but went back to a shortened stock T5 shifter because the after market shifters would jam.

post-178-0-65645200-1386186928_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-30538100-1386186944_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-15304600-1386186955_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-90697300-1386187458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

Thanks

Unfortunately, my Z has been in the garage for the last year  while chasing probems with the right rear brakes overheating and now this stub axle problem. Next time I'll build a mustang!

Edited by Miles