HybridZ

Might be moving to MD few questions....

cpt jack

Aloha from Hawaii, 

So my 5 years on this beautiful oasis is up and after my foot heals i should be moving to Maryland. I am a Marine, and should be moving in the Fort Meade area. The questions i have if anyone has some info would be, whats a good area to look at houses in the area of Fort Meade? How is the registration process, i read that there is a safety inspection? How are they towards modified cars? I have a rallyx car and my Z is in vegas waiting to go MD, both cars are modified. I can't think of to many other questions at the moment those are my most important ones. Thanks for any input guys SHOOTS!

Hey, im an old school Maryland native living in Phoenix now but i can point you in the right direction.

Laurel, Savage, Jessup or any new housing along Rt 175, Rt 198, or Rt 1, Which travels right though all the cities i just mentioned. Columbia and the south Ellicott city Zipcode near Rt 1.

You have to go through a 1 time state safety inspection of your cars. Depending on the years of the cars you shouldn't have to do any emissions testing of the cars. They should be up into the 1990's of cars that don't have to be emissions tested by now. :o)

How they are modified did not matter when i was doing state inspections. They just had to pass, or you have to repair the defects by a certain time. As long as nothing is falling off of them, you should be fine. Seatbelts need to work and be installed, no rust holes in the floors, or trunk areas, no rusted through frame rails. Good tires, brakes, Brake rotors and drums need to be within limits. exhaust hangers need to be good, Has to have exhaust pipes and they need to extend past the body. Need the Horn to work. Lights need to work. Turn signals wipers and blades.

The stations usually get you for headlights being out of alignment.

After you get the car through inspection you get an Inspection certificate which you take to the DMV to register your cars.

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been looking at around Laurel, i have noticed a lot of places do not have carports or something along that nature.  Its annoying. I don't want my Z in the open. The mods on my RallyX car are all suspension and engine, but looks stock. The Z has a built motor, struts springs, exhaust, and a new other things. This move is slowly killing me inside because well i LOVE HAWAIII, but can you blame me? 

A lot of older homes in Laurel but some should have garages or car ports. Look for newer developments in Laurel. 20 year old homes and newer should work. Look around in Severn which is right next to Fort Meade, Jessup, Guilford, Savage area also.

Edited by dexter72

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been looking at around Laurel, i have noticed a lot of places do not have carports or something along that nature.  Its annoying. I don't want my Z in the open. The mods on my RallyX car are all suspension and engine, but looks stock. The Z has a built motor, struts springs, exhaust, and a new other things. This move is slowly killing me inside because well i LOVE HAWAIII, but can you blame me? 

Everythings a compromise. Hey its like a rainy spring day today here, very odd weather.  At least you'll have your cars. 

A lot of older homes in Laurel but some should have garages or car ports. Look for newer developments in Laurel. 20 year old homes and newer should work. Look around in Severn which is right next to Fort Meade, Jessup, Guilford, Savage area also.

Noted i will have to check that out on zillow. I really appreciate the input guys. Now another question is what are some of the "bad" areas to stay away from? Also is there any Rally courses or rallyx guys in those areas i would assume there is. Also any of the Z guys there meet up and hang out, i know when i was with SincityZ we did every now and again. I miss being around other z owners and helping one another, if i have realized anything the Subie crowd is not really all that willing/able to turn a wrench. What things are there to do on the east coast? I have been to all the Museums and things like that in Maryland. Me and my soon to be wife don't party or anything. Are gun laws strict in MD?   

There is a lot of diverse cultures in this part of the state, some party a bit and some do it light, there are some Z addicts in the area with plenty of coffee and gas AM meets . Guns no clue  :icon10:

Edited by PLATA

From what a friend tells me, gun laws are pretty strict in Maryland.

Yea its the same here in Hawaii.... I have been wanting a freaking concealed carry but Hawaii doesn't allow it unless your a cop. But PLATA thats good to know. Here the car scene is kinda dead i feel... 

You have no chance of a CCW permit here in MD.  We as a may issue state  but the requirements are great and the reasons for isue are so few, they may as well call it a no-issue state.  We also do not recognize any other state's permits.  There are restrictions on semi-auto long guns and mag capacity so check the laws before you get here.

As far as housing, anything in the immediate area of the fort is a no-go.  If you want a generally safe area, short commute, good schools - check out Pasadena, Severna Park, Arnold, Millersville, Crofton, Annapolis, Davidsonville, or Gambrills.  The cost of living is high but, hey, you're comming from Hawaii so you know what expensive is.

If you are a democrat, welcome to heaven;  if a republican, welcome to hell.

All joking aside, welcome to MD!

With your military background you might be able to get a ccw permit in MD fairly easily. Personal safety and transporting money are reasons they will grant them.  There's an application process through the MSP. Hardest thing to find anywhere here really is good rounds, and it isn't getting any better or cheaper.

As far as DEM or REP you guys are outnumbered over there on the western shore.  The little red blob of MD is down here :)

Edited by motomanmike

You have no chance of a CCW permit here in MD.  We as a may issue state  but the requirements are great and the reasons for isue are so few, they may as well call it a no-issue state.  We also do not recognize any other state's permits.  There are restrictions on semi-auto long guns and mag capacity so check the laws before you get here.

As far as housing, anything in the immediate area of the fort is a no-go.  If you want a generally safe area, short commute, good schools - check out Pasadena, Severna Park, Arnold, Millersville, Crofton, Annapolis, Davidsonville, or Gambrills.  The cost of living is high but, hey, you're comming from Hawaii so you know what expensive is.

If you are a democrat, welcome to heaven;  if a republican, welcome to hell.

All joking aside, welcome to MD!

Good to know, a few of my buddies just moved and got some apt. right out of the back gate of the fort. Says he cant wait for his lease to be up. So good to know. I figured with the CCW but it was worth the shot to ask, i got alot of guns im sure i can't have in MD and for that will stay in vegas. I am a Republican and so that means im going to be having a "good" time lol. Hey i got called a baby killer after coming back from the sandbox.... can you guess what state it was? I'll give you a hint, Has a carebare on its flag.