HybridZ

Dry cell battery, what should I be looking at spec wise?

BluDestiny

I am in search of a smaller, lighter battery and I would like to cut as much weigh as possible down. This battery is going to be in a daily driven 240sx with a stock KA24DE.  

My first thought was to use an odyssey pc680 since initially that's what most of my research came up with (people mostly converting to KA turbo's, they need  a smaller battery since the intercooler piping is normally run trough the battery tray area), but today I popped into a battery store that also carries car batteries. Low and behold they have a pc680 on the shelf, and I begin asking questions and comparrisons to a stock battery for my 240sx. 

Well the stock battery puts out 550 cca, while the pc680 puts out somewhere like 220, so I'm just hoping that 550 is really overkill. Now just below the 680 there is a line of several drycell batteries made for harly's. Battery Tender and Ballistic EVO2's were the names. They have 16 cell dry cell batteries that get something like 500cca and weigh 10 pounds less than the 13lb pc680 (at about double the cost).

After talking to the salesman the biggest issue is that those batteries may not be able to take the current that the starter draws and the terminals could burn up, whereas the pc680 can take it. 

Basically I'm just wondering what you're guys opinions are on dry cells. I would love to get a ballistic since I've heard amazing things from them from my motorcycle buddies, but again am worried about the starter burning up the terminals. 

Edit: I do understand that many drycells "mimick" cca, like they require a ramp up cranking time. I've heard that the ballistics do not require that time. 

Edited by BluDestiny

The batteries I listed were half the price of the ones in the thread, and the comparable braille batteries I found (quick scan of their website) are also much higher than the $250 for the ballistic EVO2 16 cell from amazon. Braille was the first place I looked, and my friend has been running a braille in his GTR for going on 2 years now.

I've been running a pc680 in my LS powered Z for a little more than a year without issue. Take that for what it is worth. It is not a daily driver but is used daily. 

Only issue I have ran into is my own fault. Left my lights on a couple times and came back to a dead battery a couple hours later. 

Edited by 280zcar

I've been running a Deka ETX30L in my LS1 powered Z for 2 years without issue.  There is/was a lot of debate about Braille's being re-packaged Deka's due to their similar size, capacity, etc.  If you do not drive the car often, though, you will need to keep it on a trickle charger.

You can buy the ETX30L for $90ish dollars.

Edited by ktm

• 2 months later...

I just read the amazon reviews and some people say it went dead and will not recharge. I had this battery in my last car and called and talked to a guy there before I bought it. He told me that if it goes all the way dead, you have to use a special charger to charge it. Just wanted to throw that out there so no one throws away a good battery.

When I originally got started this thread I was specifically for data on the super light batteries such as:

http://www.amazon.com/PERFORMANCE-16-CELL-MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B005C5XS2U/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392572235&sr=8-1&keywords=ballistic+16+cell

Since it's about $240 shipped, has more cranking amps than the PC680, weighs 10 lbs less, and is physically smaller than the the pc680. 

Sorry, I got off track.  I would gladly give the Ballistic you linked a try, as I even went back to cancel my order on the PC680 after reading your post. I read the Ballistic size specs and that caused me to stick with the PC680 cause I have everything wired up to fit the PC680 size battery in one of the tool compartments behind the sears.  12x12x12  (16 cell size) won't fit that space...   :(

I'm interested in that battery though. Hope someone try's it.