HybridZ

So you're running camaro depth, just had to custom build the brackets? Any pictures of the condenser? I think this would fit my turbo setup, and I would LOVE AC in my car. Does the vintage air box have its own heater box as well? Sorry about all the questions, this idea is super interesting to me. (Tired of trips in 100 degree weather, dying of interior temps)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope actually running truck depth with camaro ls1 intake, fuel and ls1 oil pan. I don't think it will clear the camaro accessories. Custom fit on the universal brackets and barely fits but yes it's all in one centralized box. The mini barely fit but I've seen online that the next size up fits but I wasn't gonna chance it not fitting. I'm having issues with getting the hoses crimped tight enough. It has outputs for the ac and heater hoses. Make sure it's the mini gen II with heat/ac/def. works pretty good

Nope actually running truck depth with camaro ls1 intake, fuel and ls1 oil pan. I don't think it will clear the camaro accessories. Custom fit on the universal brackets and barely fits but yes it's all in one centralized box. The mini barely fit but I've seen online that the next size up fits but I wasn't gonna chance it not fitting. I'm having issues with getting the hoses crimped tight enough. It has outputs for the ac and heater hoses. Make sure it's the mini gen II with heat/ac/def. works pretty good

Ah I don't have a choice of running the truck depth on my pulleys. I have camaro depth currently, and I'm not sure truck depth would work. Did you have to remove your dash to install the box?

Yeah it's the second and hopefully last time I have to remove the dash. Pain in the butt.

I don't think it'll clear the water temp sender. The Sanden 508 is already touching the plastic plug on the harness with the truck setup.

Edit: GO VOLS!!!

Edited by EastTnZ

The compac fits too if you're in a hotter climate and want more AC. I installed that one since I'm in the humid gulf south. By the time I had it installed temps weren't going past the high 80s but after it cooled the car down, low speed was keeping it cold. The 2 caveats to installing the larger unit are you have to cut 1 screw shorter that holds one of the lower dash supports on(or just use a shorter bolt), and it has to fit a little off center towards the drivers side (which means the passenger gets a little less AC to the feet).I'm sure either works better than the Datsun AC. That thing had pathetic air flow.

Lol good to know yeah I got lucky and ran the hose through an old drain hose hole in the passenger side floorboard from the early non working datsun aftermarket ac. It pours the water onto the pavement when I'm running the ac, I bet it would flood it. The heat works great this winter so far! 30* tonight lol

I ran the drainhose around to the front where the factory AC drainhole was. It's been getting down into the 50s here at night, but I haven't had a chance to try the heat yet. I pulled the hatch off and most of the windows out getting it ready for paint.

• 11 months later...

Well, due to peer pressure and mostly the need for speed, I will be jumping on the boost bandwagon within the next 6 months or so!

After much deliberation I will be installing the following:

-Borg Warner S366 .91 A/R Airwerks Turbo

-down and forward truck non egr manifolds

-2" hot side with a 44mm wastegate

-3" cold side with a 50mm bov

-10 lbs of boost and see where I'm at power wise

-80 lb/hr ev1 injectors

-dual walbro 255's

-wideband O2 and boost gauges with a dual pillar pod mount

-possible ls6 cam and springs

-keep vintage air!

I just could not have my Duramax faster than the Z!

post-18996-0-78856600-1445395017_thumb.jpg

Edited by EastTnZ

Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad somebody could get some use out of what I posted!

I went with Borg Warner because they're one of the top 3 manufacturers of quality turbos (couldn't bring myself to go Chinese on the turbo), it's the largest s300 series turbo at 66mm, and ive seen a few single 5.3 s366 builds and they meet my 500-550 minimum rwhp goal at fairly low boost. The turbo is rated at 320-800 hp but it's not an s400 size package. I could always swap a t4-t6 adapter and put on s475 if I planned for its size now. Oh and it's cheap! Lol

Most people do run dual s366's for BIG POWER but I don't have the room with an ac compressor on the drivers side. I have a feeling that 500+rwhp is enough for me in this tin can! I'm only at 274rwhp right now so it'll be a big boost! :) and I'll list all the specs as its completed in this thread so stay tuned! I'll probably have frost mail order tune it first for a startup tune to check for leaks. Unsure where to go for a dyno tune near me at this time though. **edit: Frost doesn't do mail order FI startup tunes anymore due to having to explain it 1,000+ times and it being a pita to keep retuning via mail because of so many variables, so I'm going to take it to be dyno tuned when it's ready.**

post-18996-0-29744800-1445394882_thumb.jpg

Edited by EastTnZ

Haha yeah no joke, twins would be fun on your LS2 Keith! The way I figure it is a new z28 has 505 hp and is all about handling and that's what I'm shooting for on this project car. Hot side piping will be in on Thursday and the fun begins after this weekend! Hot side is all here after that! Supras run in the 20's (lbs of boost) with this turbo on 2JZ's so my measly 10 psi should make the turbo outlast the engine. Conservative tune is what I'm hoping for in longevity! Kieth, new goal is to drive it turbo'd to the ZAttack in the spring!

post-18996-0-63892400-1445394640_thumb.jpg

Edited by EastTnZ

ZAttack is the z show at Nissans U.S. Headquarters in Franklin, TN just south of Nashville, TN. It's every other year and 2016 is the next one. It's put on by the Middle TN Z Club. Oh and it's in April!

post-18996-0-75879600-1445398847_thumb.jpg

post-18996-0-90847200-1445398890_thumb.jpg

post-18996-0-69212000-1445398918_thumb.jpg

post-18996-0-80663500-1445398983_thumb.jpg

post-18996-0-02069100-1445399016_thumb.jpg

Edited by EastTnZ