HybridZ

Ford EDIS6 questions

Spike243

I am looking into converting my 280zx to the ford edis6 setup along with megasquirt and I have a couple questions. Is the 36-1 wheel and hall sensor necessary to make the edis run IF you are using the Diy trigger wheel to signal megasquirt? 

Basically, can EDIS be used with megasquirt and the diy trigger wheel?

To answer your quesiton: no, edis is setup for a 36-1 signal, sending it a 12-1 would probably confuse it.

I would ditch the EDIS and use three BIP373 ignitors with megasquirt. EDIS is a left over from the olden days when MS was less developed. I'm sure there's other reasons, but in my mind, it's just superfluous hardware. With a trigger wheel (anything divisible by 6 cylinders: 6-1, 12-1, 30-1, 36-1, etc), MS-extra has all the information to control a wasted spark setup by itself.

With the DIY 12-1 wheel, all you need to run wasted spark is three ignitors or something like DIY's Quad Spark ignition module.

I ran 6 gm ls coils in wasted spark fired directly by the MS.There are many different ways to make a spark.I did this with a 30/1 wheel made from removing teeth from a 81zxt crank wheel.Make sure that the b+ supply to your ignition system can handle the amp draw of your system.Not the oem coil b+ wire.

Edited by randy 77zt

To answer your quesiton: no, edis is setup for a 36-1 signal, sending it a 12-1 would probably confuse it.

I would ditch the EDIS and use three BIP373 ignitors with megasquirt. EDIS is a left over from the olden days when MS was less developed. I'm sure there's other reasons, but in my mind, it's just superfluous hardware. With a trigger wheel (anything divisible by 6 cylinders: 6-1, 12-1, 30-1, 36-1, etc), MS-extra has all the information to control a wasted spark setup by itself.

With the DIY 12-1 wheel, all you need to run wasted spark is three ignitors or something like DIY's Quad Spark ignition module.

So when along with megasquirt, all I would need for wasted spark is the DIY Quad Spark ignition module and a six tower coil pack (or three coils)?

The QuadSpark is just four BIP373 ignitors in a nice little package. Obviously you can make your own for much cheaper if you wanted by just buying the ignitors separately from DIY. It's all up to you.

That's pretty much the theme of MS, it's all up to you. It will work with just about any hardware setup you can cobble together. I'm using GM DIS coilpacks because I liked the packaging. It was fairly easy to scrape the guts out of it and wire up the coilpacks to use the BIP373 ignitors.

Like randy mentioned, some people even use COP in wasted spark mode. I think this might reduce the life of the coils, but I'm not really that familiar with it.