HybridZ

Started working on some new white face gauges

mr_han_solo

Hello,

I have been trying to recreate some stock looking white face gauges. I started with the "Phantom" gauge set that was designed by Steve Graber. While I didn't get them directly from him I still want to credit him for the work he did. I was interested in a stock looking white face gauge set. I mean the '70's weren't that bad were they? Anyways, after scouring the internet for the correct font I found out that the actual gauge font was going to be $29, (sorry I forgot the name). However, I did find a font called "Desmond" that was both free and is really close in some aspects, not so much in others. However, it retains the look and feel of the stock gauges.

Anyways, I just wanted to show off what I have completed so far and get some feedback on them. Also, if anyone knows of a more correct font, please let me know. The 5 is spot on, but I am noticing a huge difference with the 3 and 7. Also, the actual letters are completely off from the original font.

Also, when I get them completed I will upload both the original PSD files (fully editable) and the PDF files for easy printing.

Thanks!

Untitled.png

Edited by mr_han_solo

Looks good, Han. If you can't find the font maybe you can try taking a high-resolution photo of the original gauge numbers and live-trace them in Adobe Illustrator. Dont try and trace the entire gauge face as it won't nearly work at all. Remember, always try and isolate what you need to trace as much as possible for best results. Once you have those shapes, you can copy-paste them into photoshop and it will be vector.  :icon55:

Looks good, Han. If you can't find the font maybe you can try taking a high-resolution photo of the original gauge numbers and live-trace them in Adobe Illustrator. Dont try and trace the entire gauge face as it won't nearly work at all. Remember, always try and isolate what you need to trace as much as possible for best results. Once you have those shapes, you can copy-paste them into photoshop and it will be vector.  :icon55:

Thanks for the tip! When I took the high res photo I decided to give the font identification one more shot. It led me to a font called Antonio, and I must say that Antonio is really close. I updated the original photo to reflect the changes. I think once I get the lines, grids, etc. on the gauges closer to stock that the thing will be close enough that once the faces are on there you wont be able to tell. Now I'm sure if you held a stock gauge up to it you would notice the font differences.

Untitled.png

Update:

Did some tinkering on the gauge and came up with this. Still gotta work on where the radius of the line meets the empty and full (+ and - for ammeter) marks, but it's really, really close.

Untitled.pngIMG_3829.JPG

Edited by mr_han_solo

If this were computer software, I would call this Beta 1. I have added the red mark on the temp gauge and moved the "Temp" down to compensate for the notch in the cover. I'm not 100% satisfied in the font, but once I put the faces on the gauges I think it's going to be really tough to tell a difference. I'm sure there are little things here and there, and if anyone sees one, please let me know. Having a fresh set of eyes to look at things are always welcome, as is constructive criticism.

1973%2520240z.jpg

Alright everyone, the gauges are finished. Here are the photos of them installed in the dash:

IMAGE_12.jpg

IMAGE_13.jpg

IMAGE_11.jpg

The fonts aren't exactly correct, but they are darn close. I used a color laser to print them on adhesive paper.

As promised the .PSD file. YOU MUST HAVE ADOBE PHOTOSHOP/GIMP/ETC. TO OPEN AND EDIT THIS FILE. Within the file are the different layers for the 240,260,and 280 tachs ad well as the ammeter and volt meter. A word of advice, use an xacto knife to cut out the turn signal and odometer lights.

Questions/Comments, feel free to contact me.

- Han

THE GAUGE FILE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anufiuet3k7ylgx/240%2C260%2C280 Gauges.psd?dl=0

Edited by mr_han_solo

• 3 weeks later...