HybridZ

"123 Ignition" Distributor Replacement for Nissan L4/L6

Tony D

Scoping the interwebs for some information on my new Suzuki F6A Turbo, I ran across a neat replacement distributor which looks head and shoulders above the conventional Mallory Replacement.

It's programmable if you want it to be...

There's a bunch of YouTube Videos showing it on FairladyZ's and etc... Some nice video showing the old Hitachi Distributor it replaced, and if you understand Japanese, probably some nice technical discussion as well.

Sourced from The Netherlands, check it out, jump around the website they have distributors for most anything out there. Flying Magnet by the look of it. If someone NEEDS to keep the vintage distributor look, IMO this is loads better than a Unilite!

http://www.123ignition.nl/id/50.html

Looks like Paradise Parts is the US Distributor...

Paradise Parts
tel: 440-668-8164
sales@123ignitionusa.com
www.123ignitionUSA.com
  • Like 1

They have one for the Datsun L.... Drop-In...

I found a japanese page showing it's application on the L6.

It was from there I noticed the ".nl" suffix going "AHA! Not a JDM Part, those crazy Dutchies again!" 

From there I found the actual manufacturer's site, and US Distributor. Just ask them for the Datsun L6 version.... I could link you to the You Tube Video, but if you search there it should show up.

And from there, you see, "I practice what I preach!"

Looks like a nice bit, and ALL NEW COMPONENTS... not a 'rebuilt' and not a Mallory Mechanical (which I never had good luck with anyway!)

I liked the boost-retard feature....this would make a quick and dirty period-correct looking turbo system very nice!

I have been emailing the us supplier all day. They inform me that they currently do not have a unit for the datsun L series engines. Wierd. Anyways they asked me to take some pictures and measurements of the stock hitachi unit and they would get one in the works for me. I did explain the information provided by TonyD, but they said that they currently do not have datsun L series units, but they can make them available. I will keep ya'all posted with the information as i get it from 123ignitionsusa.

SHOW 'EM THIS AND TELL 'EM "stuff this in your pipe and smoke it!"

http://youtu.be/zFV_KSLEn2c

http://youtu.be/WZO1e7o4qtc

http://youtu.be/xZtzAN05Lyw

The last one I think shows the Hitachi being taken apart and explaining how the mechanical advance works....and how the 123 is different.

I hate incompetent / ill informed distribution. I guess "I'll just order it from Japan then and you guys can suck it" would be an appropriate response after letting them view this....

So much for trying to be a 'good guy' and go through the 'authorised distribution channel'.... PERHAPS an e-mail to the DUTCH parent company is in order informing them of their local distributor failing to take steps to keep abreast of what is offered... I think the Dutch Overlords would take a dim view of incompetent / lackadaisical salesmanship... 

BTW, I entered the following into You Tube Search Box --- there's all sorts of videos there in Japanese. 

The 123 Website has a link to English Versions of the aspects of their product.

"123ignition Nissan L6"

Im currently waiting a responce to the forwarded information to the us supplier. We shall see what they have to say, however the dutch site says they will be outa the office from dec20 to jan3, so its a waiting game at this point :-/

I'm positive they do it for L6 since the owner in Nederlands is having one in his very own 240z. He's running the Monte Carlo Classic race every winter, I've met him a couple of times.

You should try to contact them directly to get some info.

So the us supplier is trying to charge me an additional 90$ to retrofit a unit to fit my z. I emailed the guy in the netherlands, he is out till jan 6th. I am going to wait until then and straighten this mess out!!! Geez what foolishness :-/

Ok so the us supplier is not going to be friendly so dont waist your time dealing with him. He laughed at the information TonyD has shared here on hbz. I will be giving the owners in the netherlands all my communication with the us supplier and get this mess straightened out after the new year...

I got the same BS.

"Well, we don't have one yada yada."  One email says he doesn't have machining capability and the next says he can retrofit the drive onto a stock piece for an additional $90.  Not very impressive

280zex, you have PM.

That appears to be not an official supplied product, Tony, that's why they don't have one.

That appears to be a retrofitted unit made by the aftermarket to the aftermarket...probably because the Dutchies don't have enough 240Z's running around to make it a stock item yet!

I think at this point I'm going to wait to hear directly from the manufacturer to avoid any further confusion. I don't wish to spread any misinformation about this product or the company. The email I got said they will be out of the office until Jan 6th, so I wait. no worries :wink:

I believe that NewZed is on the right track with Xnke! only time will tell. thanks gentlemen for your input, and have merry holidays :wink: 

Xnke, obviously you missed the part about the Netherlands entry running one in Europe... They market generics to niche marketers, the US guy obviously doesn't want to be bothered. There's no 'official' product except for the core dissy. Each one is made to fit whatever... If you call the "OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTOR" whatever they are making is "official"...Just they got a lame one here in the USA. As I said "pound sand and deal with the Japanese!" And want to lay money the guy, even though he turned him over to the Japanese will whine about any technical support he has to now give for the product which he is contractually obligated to support as the 'official distributor'??? 

The distributor they sell is a 'universal fit' and then adapted to various engines accordingly. The adapter pieces are not needing much warranty support, the base technical stuff if what will need support. 

This is what the rest of the world does, they have COMPETENT engineering works make custom-fit niche market parts for their universal fit base item. And they get all sorts of cooooool products (especially in Japan.) Hell, I noticed people reworking GM HEI for VW Type 1 Engines here using billet bottoms... since the bases are so cheap and the parts are so cheap, and it's a self-contained unit!

Go look at a VW Perlux, and then one from a Vega, or a Pinto, or a Chevette....or a Toyota L4 or Datsun L4.... the reluctor and pickup are identical and they fit on a little piece of metal made to fit each application. This is the ONLY way stuff like this makes any sense to produce. Make a generic core that is easily customizable to each niche application.

Where it falls down is the US Distributor can't perform basic machining or doesn't want to. While DAC in Japan has already gone to the trouble of making the pieces and showing how they fit on the Nissan L4 and L6 (distributor stand and drive are identical between the two, the ONLY difference is the generic distributor core placed onto them!)

Look at the Dutch Website, and the Links I gave.

As for getting anything done in Europe between Christmas and New Years: GOOD LUCK! I worked for a company that was based in Belgium, and they shut down between those two holidays completely. It was the ONE time a year I knew I would be home. Just pick it up after the new year. It's winter, its not racing season for most car owners in the northern hemisphere.

Edited by Tony D