HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Parts

I need a new strut tower brace and I was going to get the Cusco bar from MSA (#23-4201C) but while I was on the MSA web site, I saw that they have a carbon fiber brace as well (#23-4238). My primary concern is the functionality of stiffening the chassis, but I would like to save weight if possible as well. The web site says that it is a functional piece, but would it be as stiff as the Cusco piece?

I am also looking for a carbon fiber hood and rear hatch. I want to retain the stock glass and release button in the rear hatch, but I could install hood pins if need be for the hood. Does anyone know of a reputable company that has quality parts?

Pete Sprenger

1972 240Z

3.2L Rebello with TWM fuel injection

A strut bar isn't the most chassis stiffening item you could install, but if it was made of a carbon tube it would be just as effective as an aluminum brace.

Is there a reason you want carbon fiber? If weight savings is your game, most people go for the carbon fiber hatch with lexan to replace the glass and two straps to hold it down in addition to screws/rivets. From the molds I have seen, the fiberglass and carbon fiber hatches aren't designed to take the weatherstripping to hold the stock glass, you would either have to find glass to lay on the seam and seal it in, or you would have to trim the edge and find a gasket big enough to make up the difference. Hood should work as described with hood pins. If weight savings is your game on this front, you could remove the stock latch points and front hood hinge and add 4 pins to keep the hood on.

Edit: I stand corrected, they do have some hatches labeled OEM use which takes the stock glass, but I think it kind of defeats the purpose of putting the heavy glass back in. 

Betamotorsports use to sell them, looks like advan carbon sells them now, although I have never heard of the company.

Edited by seattlejester

There are a few companies in. The SoCal area that reproduce carbon fiber hoods for sure for the s30. Look up seibon s30 hood. Not sure who deals with them, or who anyone that has used them. You may be able to contact Johnc for a reliable source.

Also Seattle does have a point with the hatch glass, the actual hatch metal on an s30 does not weigh that much, so for the price if you were putting the glass back in, I don't think it would be worth it. Unless you like the look.

I prefer to do the wrong thing unless you're willing to put your money where your mouth is. I've had three people approach me to buy the molds and all have just vanished after saying ok. A fourth is now checking with my composites guy.

And yes, 8 molds take up a lot of space and cost money to store.

Don't get me wrong, I agree you should sell them. I have no idea how much they are worth to someone in the business(or to a

private party). My point was that I find it hard to believe you are willing to toss them in the dumpster(which costs $) then

sell/give away for pennies. If it is a time issue to get them removed, I am sure the Datsun community would come and get

whatever you have.

I definitely would not be interested, my suggestion of TonyD, to add to his parts collection still stands.

A Craigslist ad for free shit always cleans-up 'one mans garbage'.

Maybe your thinking is that 'I have 'x' dollars in these mold and there is no way in hell I will give them away'.

It rarely works out that way. I sold my shop back in March and after selling a bunch of stuff I had Datsun parts leftover. Offered them for free, publicly and spent two Saturdays at the storage unit waiting for people to come by and pick up the stuff the desperately wanted. Not one showed up. Wasted my time both days.

I learned my lesson and started contacting people i knew privately. Got rid of a lot of stuff that way.

Also, molds don't store well. They need to be used and kept maintained. They are fully depreciated and are worth nothing on the books. They can make someone thousands of dollars a year (and I've got the sales records for the last five years to prove it) but you have to market and sell like a business. That makes these molds worth something to someone who is serious.

• 2 weeks later...