82 l28et
440cc injectors
walbro 255 lph pump

rb26 turbo
fmic
n42 intake
MS1 v2.2
AEM wideband

The current tune from the PO seems to run fairly well, on the rich side.  I recently purchased tuner studio and wondered if there was anything I should do or know before running the analyze live.  Also, dynamic tune while driving or have it make a map to burn later?  What is recommended?

Edited by beaniam

Save your current tune before you start. Turn off O2 feedback and accel enrichment if you can. You shouldn't have to take it easy like with a new map, just try to get most of the areas in the green. You will understand what I am talking about when you start. Adjust the settings in VEAL so it doesn't tune the high vacuum area, like during decel.

Ok I'll give it a shot tomorrow with those settings.  Yeah with the current tune I can safely romp WOT throughout the rpm range so I just want to possibly lean it out a tad and smooth it out.  I don't believe analyze live was ever run on it before I got it.

I should get it up to temp before running it right?  Running a 180 tstat.

Edited by beaniam

Look at what the min temperature is set to under advanced settings. It should be set to something over 160 degrees. There's some other settings under there you might want to mess with too, like cell resistance and the kpa range.

You don't need to disable EGO and Accel enrichment, it should work around those, at least the old MegaLogViewer version worked that way. If you were tuning manually off the log file, then you definitely should disable those to make your life easier.

The reason I disable O2 feedback is to minimize EGO correction. Or disable the VEAL in those areas of RPM.

Of course since switching over to MAF, I have eliminated the need for VEAL. I just log the drive and produce a scatter plot removing all corrections at the end of the drive.

Edited by winstonusmc

As someone going through the VEAL process (and pretty far in) let me give you a tip that eluded me for a little bit.

Set VEAL to be disabled below operating temp (either 185 or 190 for me).  Depending on whether or not you're turbo'd and using an intercooler, and where in the piping you have your IAT sensor, you will want to drive the car around until it warms up enough for VEAL to kick in.

On my setup my IAT is on my intercooler piping between the IC and the throttle body.  When sitting still while warming up warm air from the radiator is blown onto this pipe.  Very little airflow is happening in the intake piping because my PWM idle valve is supplying air to my motor for idling which it's taking from just behind the air filter, which is located in my front driver's side wheel well under the headlight.  The IAT sensor starts to show much warmer temperatures than what the engine is actually seeing because of the heat soak on the I/C piping and the lack of airflow.  This will throw your fuel mixture calculations all off.

If you're trying to tune your idle during long sessions of just sitting around and you have a setup anything like mine you'll get wildly varying results due to this.  You'll also throw your map off if you sit around and let it heatsoak and then take off driving with VEAL active.  I've found that for letting VEAL effectively tune the lower half of my 16x30 map driving around from stoplight to stoplight in town with light traffic is the most effective means.  This keeps enough air going through my intake piping that the readings stay accurate and it gave me a chance to manually tune my idle areas which are locked out in VEAL because it likes to diddle them otherwise.

Well I left settings alone basically and took it for about a 45 minute drive.  Vary varied driving, few 0-70 pulls. Seems to lightly buck while in 0-70 pulls.  I was going to post the msq it made but it says I can't attach that type of file.  I'm going to look through the MS tables thread and see what I can find.

Well I left settings alone basically and took it for about a 45 minute drive.  Vary varied driving, few 0-70 pulls. Seems to lightly buck while in 0-70 pulls.  I was going to post the msq it made but it says I can't attach that type of file.  I'm going to look through the MS tables thread and see what I can find.

You need to zip the msq files to attach.

got yah.  I definitely need to do more homework and go over all the settings again.  With the original tune from the PO it pulls fine up to 13-14psi.  I start the auto tune and I get bucking and surging with anything over about 8psi and wot.  Load the old tune back in and back to normal.  Possibly too lean?

Here's the msq zipped anyhow.

atune.zip

Edited by beaniam

Your AFR targets table is, well, probably the source of all your tuning issues. VEAL uses that table to tune and it's set to tune everything super rich - 10-11:1 AFR. You need to configure the table with the AFRs you want. With my old setup, cruising KPA was around 45-70, so set those as lean as you want for fuel economy, the rest is up to you.

Weird because this is the tune that runs well.  I can smell that it's rich but there's no surging or bucking under boost.  When I start running analyze live on this tune is when that starts.

edit: just realized my links were messed up. I see what you mean now. I'll have to bump them up to around 13-14.

Edited by beaniam

Weird because this is the tune that runs well.  I can smell that it's rich but there's no surging or bucking under boost.  When I start running analyze live on this tune is when that starts.

edit: just realized my links were messed up. I see what you mean now. I'll have to bump them up to around 13-14.

Running sequential fuel/spark I've found my tired old l28et does fine in the cruise areas up to around 15.5 afr on 87 pump gas (flex sensor bounces between 7-8% ethanol).  Anything lower than 12.0 in any area and you're probably not making any extra power, just wasting gas.

Looking at your ve table I'd say the surging you're experiencing is probably because you're set too rich at higher rpms.  Depending on what you've done to your motor your peak torque is going to be somewhere in the 4,200-4,800 rpm range, and the ve table values will peak in that range and then start falling off again.

When I started my tune off I made sure that all my upper ve table was pretty far on the rich side, and let VEAL pull fuel from the cells over numerous wot runs.  I would experience bogging every time I hit a too-rich cell, but the problem would get better over repeated runs as VEAL pulled fuel to get the AFR into range.

After looking at all of the values there are some more problems.  Turn off accel and decel enrichment while tuning the VE table.  Your warmup enrichment curve should end at 100% in the final row, not 96%.  That is also a pretty aggressive timing table.  I think by 220kpa I'm down to 14 degrees or so around peak torque rpm.  My values were derived by looking at existing maps from long term users here.  I do not personally know whats 'safe' to run at what kpa, but those values are definitely on the higher side of what I've seen.

I went to mess with it some tonight and when I went to look at the AFR targets for VE the values are showing up in voltage. What did I do for this to not be showing up in AFR values?

There's an option in your project settings that sets whether your want AFRs displayed in the traditional gas format (14.7 stoich) or lambda (1.0).  Voltage might be one of the options too.