HybridZ
RebekahsZ

Land Speed Racing Forum

If I can de-conflict my schedule, or perhaps miss the first few days of Speed Week, I have a chance to share a hotel room (no special services included) and a rental car with an old-timer who's wife thinks he might benefit from a step-and-fetch-it assistant.  More to follow after I pitch this to the wife.  After seeing the rust on all the hardware and underside of the cars that do the salt regularly, there is NO way, the Z will get out on the salt.  But, inspiration is always welcome.

ECTA, Wilmington, OH 2014 schedule:

May 2-3  Hot rod top Speed Challenge

June 6-7  One Mile Event

July 11-12  1/2-mile event (what the heck??)

Sep 26-27  Street Bike Challenge (cars welcome)

I hope to make a couple passes at the May event toward my license (this is supposed to be a really crowded event), then go to the June event with the hope of making a record attempt.  I went 148 in the GA 1/2-mile at 6000rpm in 4th gear.  5th gear should go 175 if I have the power for it (probably don't with no aero).  ECTA record for my car is 161, so that it my target.

Just ordered my Moon discs.Come join me, and pray for good weather!

Do it! I did the GA 1/2-mile with Wannagofast. It was very well run. My Z did 148mph fairly consistently. I couldn't get to 150 for the life of me, but I sure tried. All runs were between 144-148. May have hit a wall of air without enough power to blast thru.

Edited by RebekahsZ

3.54 gears with 28" diameter borrowed drag radials took me right to the timing lights at 148mph at 6000rpm in 4th gear (1:1) at 35psi in all 4 tires.  Another guy was there in a Z equipped with a modified LS6 and a T56.  He had low-profile tires on 16" or 17" wheels and ran 147mph in 5th.  The one time that we ran neck and neck, I passed him when he shifted to 5th, but he may have missed the shift (that is a tough slide over to 5th when you are in a hurry).  While they set up Wannagofast as a "drag race," it really isn't a drag race-its a top-speed exhibition.  So, I usually left the line gently (to avoid axle breakage) and most guys were ahead of me off the line-I reeled in a few, but supercharged or turbocharged cars left me in the dust.  For me, it wasn't an ego "race," it was research, to see what the car would do, and to confirm my math as it related to tire diameter.  Between my buddy and me, the car made 12 runs over 2 days and never broke, although my intermittent starting problem showed itself a few times.  We left early the second day due to poor weather and the long trip home.   My autocross and road race tires are 24" in diameter and my drag slicks are 26" in diameter.  Tire diameter makes a big difference.  I haven't heard of anybody who could really pull 6th gear against wind resistance with a T56 in landspeed-its a huge overdrive with a big rpm drop.  Most guys just run 4th or 5th depending on their tires.  Almost all the cars at this year's GA 1/2-mile were boosted in one form or another. The fastest n/a car was an RX7 FD that ran 158mph-those cars really cheat the wind.  If I were building a pure land speed car and cost were no object, that is the chassis I would start with.  But remember, I will probably never see salt-these old chassis don't mix well with salt.

McCormick Racing just ran a Christmas special on MT ET Pro 275/60/15 drag radials.  Just ordered a pair so I don't have to borrow this year. $420 closer!  All that is left to purchase is the fire extinguisher system, then I have a pile of parts to install.

Edited by RebekahsZ

ECTA, Wilmington, OH 2014 schedule:

May 2-3 Hot rod top Speed Challenge

June 6-7 One Mile Event

July 11-12 1/2-mile event (what the heck??)

Sep 26-27 Street Bike Challenge (cars welcome)

I hope to make a couple passes at the May event toward my license (this is supposed to be a really crowded event), then go to the June event with the hope of making a record attempt. I went 148 in the GA 1/2-mile at 6000rpm in 4th gear. 5th gear should go 175 if I have the power for it (probably don't with no aero). ECTA record for my car is 161, so that it my target.

Just ordered my Moon discs.Come join me, and pray for good weather!

What class and what are the limits for that class? I'm toying with going to the Ohio Mile next year. Only way to get rules is to join ECTA so its hard to know where would even fit and what safety rules need to meet. I understand Bonneville you have to meet the safety rules for the current record in that class despite the potential of your car.

I will compete as C/GMS. The rules are similar to Bonneville. In my class, the record is 161mph. So, I have to build to the 175mph paragraphs in the rule book. I think a membership is $60, about the cost to take my family out to supper if we all drink water. However, they will let you run to 135mph with little more than a closed face helmet for your licensing runs up to 135. Had I known that I would have made two runs this year. They want people to participate so they can be more liberal and they give you a deficiency list and a chance to be re-inspected. The guys were nice. Serious about safety, but nice.

Do it! I did the GA 1/2-mile with Wannagofast. It was very well run. My Z did 148mph fairly consistently. I couldn't get to 150 for the life of me, but I sure tried. All runs were between 144-148. May have hit a wall of air without enough power to blast thru.

But but but those guys swear their "stock but lowered" 280Z did 160 all day long!

Once you go and run all you brung and come back just under 150, you sit down and give a righteous "holy sh*t!" At guys spinning up to 170, 180 in the same chassis!

It's not until you make that first benchmark, THEN start adding to it does the "holy sh*t!" Utterance at the end of the day become especially profound!

Just heard from Burton Brown. He plans to take his record-holding Z to Maine for a 1.5 mile time trial at Loring, then the week later he hopes to attend the Ohio Mile with both the Z and his streamliner. He's going after a class record at El Mirage and these will be TnT runs. I'm so psyched that I may get to see his car! And maybe hang out a bit, though campaigning one car is a huge chore-two cars would leave very little time for BS-ing.

Rule book paragraph states that door locks must be rendered inoperable. Here's a solution I saw pass tech last year. So that's off the list. The nut size is strangely SAE 8x32 instead of 4mmx0.7. The black tube is just vacuum tubing to keep me from stabbing the post thru my elbow. Burton says he just removed the door locking rod from the mechanism, but I often lock tools in my car overnight, so I wanted to be able to un-do this easily when not on a landspeed trip.

post-5903-0-32456500-1428835556_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-85458400-1428835566_thumb.jpg

Two projects left: finish bellhousing swap, get last wheel to seal and mount tire. Awaiting parts for bellhousing swap and apply second coat of silicone to wheel tomorrow morning. Hoping to finish up this Sat to allow a week of test driving and resting up. Took truck to get alignment and learned that frontend is shot, so it got rebuilt today; alignment tomorrow. Shop says they have a great A/C guy so he's gonna try to troubleshoot that, so maybe I will have A/C for trip. Burton Brown sent me a pic of his record-holding Z getting crossed and getting some additional ballast.

post-5903-0-79449300-1429677950_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Z is ready. Might wipe off dash (it's been a couple years). Haven't driven with a full complement of air in all 4 tires in a while-these radials are bumpy! Dropped konis to full soft since the track is pretty bumpy (I spun the tires every pass at around 140 at the GA 1/2-mile. Oil changed, new bellhousing finished and car back together, washed and full of gas. Gonna daily drive it this week then load it in the trailer. Gotta work on tow truck a little more this week and still find time to make a little money. I'm wooped. The picture doesn't show it well, but this thing it nose-down! That's a 28" tire out back and a 24" up front.

post-5903-0-49493000-1430115797_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Got a report from Burton as he was driving home from Loring, Maine. His Z went 158 in the mile and 168 in the 1.5-mile. That's from a 8000rpm Datsun L-series 3.0L. Unfortunate, it sounds like the Z got loose inside the trailer and sustained enough damage that he's not bringing it to Wilmington. Rats! I wanted to see that machine. I think I finished getting the tow truck ready: fixed a lower radiator hose and clearanced it off the fan housing where it was rubbing. The racer's solution to everything: cutoff saw! Will drive it to work as a test drive. The Z passed muster yesterday.

After driving the truck to work and inspecting it after, it looks like the radiator hose leak is truly fixed. So my machines are ready. Now to get some rest-I'm beat from the late-night, last-minute garage thrash on three vehicles (race car, truck, trailer-all of which needed a lot of work). I have realistic goals for the trip: get my licenses thru 150mph. The lack of aero will likely keep me from my goal (162mph). I really hope to learn from other cars/drivers/builders. I don't know what you call it, but I want to make a fiberglass nose-cone for the car during May and return with the car substantially more aero-prepped. I know I have the power to make my goal, but aero may hold me back. There's some rain in Sunday's forecast. I will attach a photo of a mustang with what I'm calling a "nose cone." If anybody has any pointers for laying this up and attaching it, I'm all ears.

post-5903-0-51715800-1430260486_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-97212700-1430260582_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ