HybridZ

EZ WIRE DEFROST

240zBoy

So I have a defroster and was wondering how you guys rewired or would go about rewiring the defroster with an aftermarket kit. There is no supplied wire for defrost so it is going to have to be done pretty much from scratch off the fuse block. I have a switch still on my center console I would like to use too.

I am also looking into this as I just started doing the ez-wire conversion in my car. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the defrost works off of 6 volt so you have to somehow get it to convert to 6v.  I don't, however, know what else is involved.  I'll look into it and in the meantime hope for someone else to chime in.  

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm  has a complete kit including wiring and timer controls. Just choose the size you need and slap it on.

Might need two kits for a 12V system according to luseboy ;).  nug nug wink wink...

You might also find your old defroster wires tucked into the overhead trim that has the dome light...

Anyone know what voltage it runs at... My thinking is I can play it safe and use a voltage reducer like I have used for an old heater to get it down to 6v. I don't know if that would be enough for it to fully function though, or if it is fine I will just run 12v there.

Show a link to the kit or describe it.  Resistive wire heaters would typically run off of 12 volts. 

And, the endless do-loop, look in the FSM.  Page BE-4.  Shows a switch, some wires, and a fuse.  Called "Heat Glass".

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm  has a complete kit including wiring and timer controls. Just choose the size you need and slap it on.

Might need two kits for a 12V system according to luseboy ;).  nug nug wink wink...

You might also find your old defroster wires tucked into the overhead trim that has the dome light...

Show a link to the kit or describe it.  Resistive wire heaters would typically run off of 12 volts. 

And, the endless do-loop, look in the FSM.  Page BE-4.  Shows a switch, some wires, and a fuse.  Called "Heat Glass".

Sounds like I may be mistaken on the 6v... Do these things use up a lot of amps? Is it worth powering them off of a relay? I need to look at the wiring diagram and find out for myself but I'm more focused on the important wiring stuff at the moment... 

I need to look at the wiring diagram and find out for myself but I'm more focused on the important wiring stuff at the moment... 

I had to quote your ironic statement.  Pretty funny.

There's a 20 amp fuse inline, if that helps.

I had to quote your ironic statement.  Pretty funny.

There's a 20 amp fuse inline, if that helps.

It is quite funny  :icon10:. I still have to figure out the ignition switch, engine wiring, etc. so I personally have the defrost on the back burner but would love to have it figured out. To make this painfully clear... One side of the grid gets grounded, and the other side gets positive current with an inline 20amp fuse powered off a relay so you don't burn out the switch? And maybe even with a 15 minute timer built in to turn it off if you forget to. Just want to make sure we're all on the same page here, as I'm not sure if that's correct.  

Edited by luseboy