HybridZ

Reassembling the RB25DE w/ ITBs to put in my 240z.

winstonusmc

I have been collecting some parts for my new RB25NA project. After the motor is in my Z and tuned, it will be for sale with all the stuff needed to drop it into an S30 minus the ECU.

The details:

08U block (RB25 from an R32 GTS25, no VTC)

RB26 Head

RB26 ITB w/ custom velocity stacks

Megasquirt Version 3

FS5W71C transmission (the little one)

This motor has already powered a car in this configuration. It was in a joint venture drift beater when I was stationed in Okinawa. We beat on it for a while. I tore it down an shipped it to San Diego with intentions to put it in my 240z, but decided to stay L-Series.

IMG00057-20110422-1923.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

Since the 200zr pans are long gone and when they do pop up on the forums they are $600, which is pure thievery, I decided to mod a stock pan. Hasn't been too terribly difficult thus far and I hope it doesn't leak. Haven't modded the pickup yet, but its going to be simple. In one of the picks, I show how the L Series and RB lean opposite directions, making the oil pans a mirror image of each other.

IMG_20140107_135636_523_zps46268010.jpg

IMG_20140107_204834_003_zps4e101e93.jpg

IMG_20140107_204847_662_zps9d98a608.jpg

Have to order a set of bearings now. Have been going back and forth about ACL bearings, anyone have an opinion?

Edited by winstonusmc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

IMG_20140508_190245_168_zpsh6bkcuae.jpg

Another update. Finally installed the crank and pistons. Cleaned up the head, but still need to pull the valves and lap the valve seats. I did that on my RB26 and the valve lash returned to stock, so I am going to do it on this head.

Cleaning this motor has been quite a task due to a mud bath back in Oki. The ITBs still need some attention. They seem to be made of a different aluminum than the head because the head cleaned right up with simple green. The intake still is all corroded after much more scrubbing than the head. Might take some steel things in for a powder coat later, but after I leave the depot. Right now I am just getting the motor easier to store for a year.

I really like the wrinkle valve cover paint. Might get them texture powder coated later like my L28 "Turbo" valve cover is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its a 26 head/ itbs with a set of NEO valve covers ( no PCV ). Unfortunately, I didn't have an extra set of RB26 covers laying around. The current valve covers came off my R34 after I did an RB26 swap. This head was also installed on said R34, but it was shaved for higher compression. It had a pinging issue at lower RPMs so I switched it back to an un modified head. A lot of parts on this motor are spares I had while living in Japan. The block was really the only thing I had to buy.

Power is modest, but it sounds cool. Never got it dyno'd because no dynos in Oki, well at least that they let anyone use anymore. And it was never installed in a street legal, street driven car.

Edited by winstonusmc

Its a 26 head/ itbs with a set of NEO valve covers ( no PCV ). Unfortunately, I didn't have an extra set of RB26 covers laying around. The current valve covers came off my R34 after I did an RB26 swap. This head was also installed on said R34, but it was shaved for higher compression. It had a pinging issue at lower RPMs so I switched it back to an un modified head. A lot of parts on this motor are spares I had while living in Japan. The block was really the only thing I had to buy.

Power is modest, but it sounds cool. Never got it dyno'd because no dynos in Oki, well at least that they let anyone use anymore. And it was never installed in a street legal, street driven car.

Did the RB26 head easily on the 25DE block? and any specific reason for not using the 25DE head and just swapping the ITBs

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to pull the front end and motor off of the Datsun in the past couple weeks. I am going to smooth out the bay and paint it. I would like to color match it, but I am really not sure what color I want the car in the end. I am just going to paint everything forward of the windshield gloss black. I don't think I will run any type of undercoat in thus car due to its lack of being driven in the rain. And I set the RB25 ITB motor in it just for fun and fitting purposes.

IMG_20140726_174607_986_zpsv1vzfci8.jpg

IMG_20140726_174756_372_zpsfrdlpo7c.jpg

IMG_20140726_174620_809_zpscls3rkrj.jpg

• 4 weeks later...