HybridZ

WTB: the Z in California area

ubroker2k

Hello Hybridz,

Yes, another one, seems like it is seller's market right now in California ;)

To make a long story short, I did try to buy one through the 'specialized' traders and importers, but they are so incompetent with anything that is not a 2007 slightly damaged SUV vechicle... Now,  I am flying over to Los Angeles in person and need to buy the Z within my stay (2 weeks period, until the end of January). I have to confess that it will be shipped back to Europe, but please don't hate me, we need the Z's as well! ;)

I am looking for healthy, straight body with no rust. - this is a priority. 

Clean title (easy to export and register).

Engine swaps most welcomed (if done right ofc). But if your transplant is dying - its just fine as well, I got a drift car (400hp S14a) that I can scrap and 'merge' with the Z. But the car must be in working condition! At least so it can drive to LA and make it up the ramp ;)

Nice looking  exterior/interior is a bonus ofc. It will not stay 'classic' look, so tasteful or JDM changes are welcome.

Hope that someone here is willing to let his project go, thus saving me a lot of work (if I can't find anything decent, I'll just take a random shell out of a junkyard ;) and start making it from the very beginning).

-Marcin

I am sorry, if I didn't make myself clear enough (english is not my native language). I did grade my preferences in a non-random order. 

By typing 'letting go a project' I meant the finished project, not the one in progress.

Also I did mention a dying engine as this is one of the main reasons people would like to let their tuned cars go (most of them are too honest to just palce an add and sell them, knowing that something might just blow up soon). And I do have a means and experience to make a swap, so I thought it was worth mentioning. And yes - it has to be a runner as this is a requirement for a ro-ro overseas shipment.

And the postscript about picking up a 'trash' in case everything else fails, was just a meaningless note. I'm not going to search for a shell on the HybridZ forum :)

Hope that you can consider selling your V8 more comfortably now ;)

Howdy, I'm in a similar position (looking for a Z).  Re: rust free... even in California, you're going to get rust unless someone before you has already cut and welded / patched it.  

As your goal is slightly different than mine I don't mind swapping information (we're not looking for the same kind of car so we're not "competing" as it were).  

There's a website called "searchtempest" that will search all of the craigslist's in a specified area.  My zip code is 90405 so I use that and do a radius search of 300 miles, then view the results in "direct results" mode (you may prefer combined view).  That's been the most helpful.

Then of course there's ebay, and the other classic Z websites:

DatsunClassifieds

and

ZCar 

Both .com.

Best of luck with your search mate!

-Ryan

I'm looking to spend anything between 10 and 20k$ depending on the condition of the car. Can't really go any higher as I still have shipping, excise tax, sales tax and import tax to pay - it almost doubles the final price :/

@mckennar - thx for the tips Ryan, 've been there already :)

what year z? 240 260 280 or does it matter?

I'd prefer 280 - looking just as good (with the right bumpers etc.) and being a bit more solid for this kind of power, but either model requires some work on the strenght of the chassis anyway, so its not a great difference for me :)

@icewtr - sent a PM

• 2 weeks later...