HybridZ

Intercooler in stock L28ET

Co0ke

This may be a stupid question but I'm new to boosted engines.  If I add an intercooler to my stock l28et (stock ECU, stock injector, no mods for extra fuel, no wideband yet, stock waste gate 7psi) will I need to worry about leaning out? <<---just because i've read it a few times on other forums and need peace of mind.

In my mind, this is simply making the already compressed air cooler and more dense and a slightly lower psi because of the lower tempurature, which means less boost in the cylinders.  Hence the need for upgrading the fuel system can wait till funds permit.

Am I right?

Cool thanks, I will of course be turning up the boost once I've taken care of all the safety measures :) just trying to do my upgrades in such a way that I can still drive the car.

Edited by Co0ke

Without an intercooler (as it is stock), initial intake temps will be "relatively" ambient- And then go up as you you go about your business.  An air to air intercooler will maintain intake temps closer to ambient.  If your car can handle initial intake temps at close to ambient, it should be able to handle them if they continue to stay close to ambient.

Think of it this way: If the intercooler in your car resulted in an intake temp low enough to cause issues, youd be advised not to drive at night.  Your car can handle driving when its 90 outside, it can handle driving when its 40 outside during winter.  It can handle an intercooler maintaining intake temps closer to ambient :)

• 2 weeks later...

Moving where the wastegate gets it's pressure signal from the turbo housings to a nipple on the piping after the intercooler will ensure your engine sees the same boost even with the possible restriction of the new intercooler.

Be careful not to have a hose fall off if you do move it or you could end up with crazy boost and possible engine damage.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

I do not know why I'm unable to quote properly on this forum, but my response was to the comment "...Never look back go as big as you can.  Its almost impossible to have to big an intercooler."  There is a reason that intercoolers are built in variety of sizes, and putting a 1000hp capable cooler on an engine that can't make 300hp will do little but add weight and lag.  There are so many affordable intercoolers now a days it makes no sense at all to improperly size one.

I do not know why I'm unable to quote properly on this forum, but my response was to the comment "...Never look back go as big as you can.  Its almost impossible to have to big an intercooler."  There is a reason that intercoolers are built in variety of sizes, and putting a 1000hp capable cooler on an engine that can't make 300hp will do little but add weight and lag.  There are so many affordable intercoolers now a days it makes no sense at all to improperly size one.

Ah no worries I got chya. How much lag are we talking about?  Why is it adding more lag?

Edited by Sideways

Careful here.

The "HP rating" of an intercooler tends to be based on the cross-sectional area of the charge air portion of the intercooler. It has pretty much nothing to do with the length of it, or its ability to cool the charge air. So, a 1000hp rated vertical flow intercooler may be of equal volume to a much lower HP-rated horizontal flow intercooler. So, HP rating is not necessarily proportional to intercooler volume

AND, in my experience, intercooler volume, though it seemingly should have a significant impact on lag, in reality, doesn't mean that much.

To be clear, I'm not disputing the fact that one can oversize an intercooler.

Edited by bradyzq

Why? Because it is adding volume and friction to a pressure system.

How much? All depends on how poorly you match you components.

There is no shortage of information on things like this. 

I must admit I was being rather coy-  And I agree, there is indeed no shortage of information on this.  Its because of this information and my personal experience that I have to strongly disagree that any reasonably large intercooler is going to result in an "Extremely laggy car".  The time difference itd take your turbo to fill up the volume of an "appropriately sized intercooler" vs "a large one that we can reasonably fit into the front of our cars" would be measured in hundredths of a second.  So ya, there would be sooome difference, but "Extremely laggy" in comparison?  What kind of intercooler are we talking about here?

Now I want to state- I readily and openly admit 100% that I may be completely and utterly wrong on this.  If I am, I would gladly and openly welcome information that demonstrated otherwise.  The correct information is far better than holding onto "wrong" information if you ask me.

This is what im running man. If it helps you out any good.

15903471_large.jpg?v=1

My setup is very similar to this. I like not having to cross over the fan, just cleaner imo. Next will be a wideband and maybe I'll experiment with added one or two more pounds of boost just to see if I can without upgrading my injectors and ECM etc.

My setup is very similar to this. I like not having to cross over the fan, just cleaner imo. Next will be a wideband and maybe I'll experiment with added one or two more pounds of boost just to see if I can without upgrading my injectors and ECM etc.

Aye it does seem to have its advantages.  I went the NPR route, and wound up with this:

0_IMAGE_252.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Its a bit of a squeeze across there.