HybridZ

Installing Kirkey Seats

RebekahsZ

Ordered some Kirkey Intermediate Road Race Seats.  Sending them back.

Issues:

1)  Too dang wide at the shoulder (can't close the door).

I could probably bend the shoulder wings in to allow closure of the door, but what if I kink them-then I'm stuck with them.  After the return I am going to order the Pro Street Drag seat, which shares the same basic lower half, but without the shoulder wings.  I do like the layback of these seats and I do like how well the fabric fits.  I also like that the Intermediate RR seat is an inch shorter at the headrest than anything else Kirkey sells.  But, I hope to need to reach around behind the passenger seat to open a NO2 bottle some time in the future, and that will be a no-go with these.

2)  Too wide (loose) at the hips.

I consider myself "medium build, middle age, mildly overweight and very out of shape."  I'm 187# and 5'9" tall.  My old fabric over steel frame seats are 15" wide at the inside of the steel frame.  I have to really squeeze my butt into my old seat and it hugs me really well-I like the snug feel since this is a race car.  I read the Kirkey instructions on how to measure my butt before ordering the Kirkey seat.  I'm 17" from hip to hip when seated, so I ordered a 17" seat.  It's too loose for a race car, although it might be a good size for a passenger seat.

Plan:

Return the seat and cover (big$ in shipping, ouch).  Go sit in a buddy's Cobra Daytona Coupe replica that has Pro Street Drag seats and figure out whether to order 15" or 16" seats next.  Will likely order a 16", and if it is too loose for the driver seat, I'll just put it in the passenger side and get a 15" seat for the driver.

post-5903-0-24409400-1390064398_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-35642400-1390064413_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-30029500-1390064427_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't given up yet. I ordered a 15" seat which is 2.5" narrower at the shoulder. But, they are on back order everywhere. Jegs estimated ship date just changed from 1/25/14 to 2/15/14. Perhaps a skinny seat will motivate me to lose those 30# that I need to lose. Ok, 35#. I had a good chat with heavy85. He fitted 17" seats in by shoving them against the tyranny tunnel. I really want to be centered behind the steering wheel. Meanwhile I wait.

Yeah....no way those wings would fit without some serious bending or cutting, which sucks.  If the "Clubman" style seat (available from Corbeau or Cobra) appeals to you, the best price I've found is from these guys:

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/

I just bought a Corbeau Clubman for $229 + $10 shipping.....hard to beat!  (One big advantage the Clubman seat has over many others is the "wingless" shoulder section, which makes it fit in the 260 & 280 much more easily.)

Good luck with your install, whichever route you go!

Aaahhhhh so.  Got it.  I think there's a guy down your way who's always selling a ton of new and used race parts on Craigslist.....may be worth a phone call.

Otherwise, good luck with the install and keep us posted on your final solution.  Thx!

for what its worth, im ~5'6", 170lbs and the 16" kirkey fits me perfect. the pro drag is what i have planned, mostly just for lack of a vintage style option i really like. they also have one thats basically exactly the same but has wings that come out around your ribs - sounds like just what you're looking for. holds well but made ingress/egress too awkward for the amount of street use id like to get out of the car.

theyre also on craigslist a lot for cheap from dirt track racers etc. good way to test fit and also get a cheap seat, just buy a new cover.

After returning the 17", the 16" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race and cover came in this week.  I tried both the 15" and the 16" on for size.  The 15" feels great (like a freakin' golf glove) everywhere but on my hip bones.  Except for the pressure points only on the hip bones, I really prefer the 15" seat.  It really fits my torso a lot better, but I think I would be in agony on the hips if I ever did a road trip with the 15".  Also, don't know how it would be with the addition of belts or a fire suit.  The 16" is a little loose everywhere, but the hip bone pressure was relieved.  My skinny wife fit in either seat, but she has probably ridden in the car twice in 20 years.  It will probably be a little tight for my drag racing/autocross buddy.   The 17" was definitely way too loose for me.  For reference, I am 5'9" 185# little meatball of a man. I comfortably wear Levis with a 34" waist and 30" inseam and a 42 coat.  Short legs, long torso, wear a size large racing helmet.  I'm kind of trapped between a large and extra large T-shirt (If I could lose the belly and man-boobs, a large would be fine). So, time to return the 15" and order a second 16" kit for the passenger side.  On the subject of the shoulder wings: the 15" measures 22" wingtip to wingtip; the 16" measures 23", the 17 measured 25".  The 20 degree layback that these seats have is just about perfect.  I will lay mine back perhaps 1 additional inch, maybe less.  Headed out to shop to get the 16" mounted up.  Pics to follow.

First install pics.  Using stock sliders. First issue is that the seat needs to be raised 1/2" to clear the slider mechanism (the seat can't sit directly on the slider rails).  Second issue is that the seat tapers both vertically and horizontally toward the back of the seat, so different spacers are needed in the rear than in the front.  Also, the rear of the seat is angled up a bit, so the spacer needs to be angled too.  I made some spacer/adapters that fit the bill.  They are just cheap Lowes stock and are on the thin side-I may elect to duplicate this in steel before I am totally satisfied.  The rear adapter needed some tig welding to get the angle right.  Wouldn't you know it that my welder ran out of argon in the middle of the first bracket!  At least one is tacked up enough to continue mock-up..  Once the rear adapter is installed, I will try to get the shoulder wings narrowed up.  Does anybody else have trouble drilling holes where they need to be?  I am a master at being 1/4" off!  Then to get the seat back brace installed.  Looks like I will be ordering a passenger seat tonight ( I have been making all the brackets in pairs).  I have put these seats in and out of the car a million times now.  A couple of observations:  after having 3 different seats in this car to include stock (slippery), Starion (super heavy), cloth-over-steel frame (nice compromise), these Kirkeys are super light and super comfy.  I told my wife last night that I might not get a hotel for my first trip to the ECTA in June, but would rather sit in these seats than sleep in a bed.  They feel really good, especially with the little lumbar pad I got from the local pharmacy for $9.  Oh yeah, the little side brackets that Kirkey sells:  I can't figure out how they are supposed to bolt to the side of the seat.  I got the ones that are supposedly designed for these seats, but the rear taper of the seat bottom makes the little brackets un-useable.  Another return shipping and restocking fee!  Maybe this thread will save somebody else some of my pain (that's the whole reason for the thread).   

post-5903-0-71987600-1391953773_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-74778800-1391953780_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-40880200-1391953787_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Awesome youre doing this, as i havent seen kirkeys in a z yet and is definitely the route im planning... hopefully will keep from making a couple mistakes. Whats the height / driving position like with the seats 0.5" over stock sliders? Glad to hear the sliders will work well though. do you have a cage? How does door-side clearance look for one?

Here are the rest of the photos, although they never seem to post in the order that I intend.  I couldn't live without my step drill bit.  I was able to narrow the seat in the shoulder area by laying the seat on its side on the floor, propping the wing on a 2X4 and beating the tar out of it progressively with a dead-blow hammer, test fit and repeat until it fits. Switch to the other wing, rinse and repeat. After beating the tar out of the wings to get the seat to fit, it is very tight in the shoulders.  With my old seats, the only time I really needed this much side support was when I rode along in my car with Matt Isbell driving at AMP.  Going thru the sweepers, I was leaning against the door with my helmet rattling on the window.  Otherwise, I would advise against this seat and tell you to use the Kirkey Pro Street Drag seat: its considerable cheaper and the only real big difference is the shoulder wings, although there is some small difference in the lay-back angle.  Oh, I know that the welding is incomplete-my welder ran out of argon.  Hope to finish that tomorrow.

post-5903-0-57605700-1392006682_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-72890300-1392006693_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-88276400-1392006700_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-33856500-1392006716_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-19108000-1392006730_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-63414800-1392006737_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-32002900-1392006744_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-56322900-1392006750_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-57025300-1392006760_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-10562700-1392006769_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-26354200-1392006777_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-45678000-1392006790_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-06754400-1392006813_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-20790800-1392006826_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-27097600-1392006836_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-17418800-1392006864_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-35624700-1392006877_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-61869000-1392006890_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-87553200-1392006899_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

After the last post, I went out and put the cover on the seat and climbed in.

Bad news.  After narrowing the shoulders to allow the door to close, there is no room for me.  My shoulders are crushed.  Ordering a 16" Pro Street Drag tonight.  Watch for a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat on Craig's list.  I give up.  Two day's work in the toilet.  Bad part yet is that the bottom of a Pro Street Drag is different from the IRR, so my brackets will have to be re-designed.  Heavy85 managed to get a 17" IRR in, but he crammed the seat against the hump-I don't have that option due to the placement of my hydraulic handbrake assembly being placed along the hump.  Back to the drawing board.

Heres just some crap pictures i grabbed off craigslist, but shows the 'rib hugging' model that I mentioned previously. They look much less impressive on the Kirkey site (I believe these are all '09 economy layback'). Just something to consider though as I've sat in them and the rib wing things do provide a lot of additional support. I would definitely be planning on them if I wanted more support than the pro drag could offer, and I would think it would fit very easily.

570-36711.jpg

post-37248-0-04184400-1392041586_thumb.jpg

post-37248-0-08496200-1392041587_thumb.jpg

Kirkey Pro Street Drag seat arrived yesterday and I mounted it last night.  Only alteration I had to make was to double the height of the front adapter/cross brace.  The front of the Pro Street Drag seat is about an inch higher than the IRR seat.  That additional spacing was also required to clear the slider mechanism.  Once done, it feels great.  The upholstery is coming from another warehouse and should arrive today.  The upholstery makes a significant difference in these seats, and I use a lumbar cushion as well, so my final report should be ready tonight.  These seats are very tall and I expect poor clearance between the very top of the seat and the top of the roll bar to ultimately limit my ability to slide back on the adjusters very much, but I think, while it will be close, that it will work out fine.  The AutoPower seat back brace has a bracket to attach to the back of the seat-that bracket is flat, while the seat back is curved.  Something ELSE to modify. Building a racecar is a lot like stepping in gum... Hoping to have car at roll bar builder next week-maybe I can get him to remake or modify that bracket.  Shoulder belt holes look to be just about perfect to allow placement of the harness bar directly behind them-the seat fits my height pretty well.  When I put the upholstery on, I need to wear my helmet too, to be sure the seat is low enough....

post-5903-0-07584700-1392314488_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-72647400-1392314499_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-03814100-1392314510_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-22660600-1392314519_thumb.jpg

Love it, I think the Kirkey's do a great job of fitting the retro race image as well as being comfortable, affordable and supportive. Is this for road racing? Very much looking forward to how you like it. My parents live in Huntsville, was just down there couple weeks ago, I'll have to stop by next time.

Edited by ol doc gully

I LOVE having hybridz friends over.  Next time you BETTER stop by.  The only thing I don't like is how high the back is.  I wonder if I could modify that without un-SFI-ing my car??  I may try to contact Kirkey about it; I know they do some custom stuff.  The seat is for all-around: street, drag, track-day, SCCA autocross, ECTA standing-mile.  Upcoming door bars dictate a narrow seat, drag dictates light-weight, autocross dictates lateral support, ECTA dictates metal construction.  The Kirkey meets all those requirements.  I really like that the upholstery snaps off, so if I have any cockpit welding done, the whole seat doesn't need to be removed to avoid welding burns.  The seat is actually pretty comfortable in metal without upholstery-if I ever do a roadster, i might just put a drain hole in the bottom of the seat and the floorpans and say "screw-it" to a top.