HybridZ

'81 280zxt automatic rebuild - $3700 - REALLY?

PounceZ

I took my 280zxt out for a about a week ago for the first time in a couple weeks and the transmission was slipping badly in third gear. This is the first time I have ever noticed any unusual behaviour from the tranny. I checked the fluid and it is at the correct level and clean. So I parked it and had a local transmission shop with a good reputation come and pick it up. They called me today an said it will run about $3700 to rebuild - 1300 labor and 2400 parts. They want to replace everything - valve body, converter, pump, etc. They even want $700 for just a rebuild kit. These prices seem absurd to me. I went by and looked at the torn down tranny before they sent me the quote and all of the hard parts and friction discs look great. There was some glazing and cracking on the inside of the friction band. Does anyone else have recent experience with getting an automatic rebuilt? Thanks.

That's 2400 yen, right?  The Jatco 3n71 was built for over 20 years, the 4n71 an additional 15.  They where installed in Datsun, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Ford, Dodge, and other makes.  Pay their tow bill and get it to a reasonable shop.  For $3700 you can have a 2000 hp powerglide. 

• 2 months later...