HybridZ

1970 240z bumpers on an early 1974 260z?

japandan

Hi Guys, I've been a long time z owner but this is the first time I'm reaching out to the community for help.

I have an early 1974 260z (in the attached pic), and have been eyeing the early 240z type bumpers that hug the body. I've found a guy parting out his 1970 240z, and he has the bumpers for sale. Does anyone here have any experience making these fit?

I've gone through the forums here, and although I did find a lot of people wanting to go from the bigger late 260z/280z bumpers to the slimmer ones on 240zs, I haven't been able to find much on the early 260z bumper to early 240z bumper conversion.

I spoke to one of the employees at MSA and he pointed out that there was a slight tweak to the bumpers after 1973(?), so what I want to look for is the bumper from the earlier 240z models. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as information pertaining to this early 260z is hard to come by. Thanks for your help in advance!

post-42860-0-12669600-1390604566_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a nice small rear 260z bumper I'm interested in selling or trade for a cool steering wheel.etc

Or let the air out of the bumper shocks push them in and tack weld the shock so it stays put. That's good for a good 2/3inches of tuck

Edited by nismosilvia

• 2 weeks later...

240z bumpers will bolt right up to a early 260z as they are essentially the same car. After 76 they became more like the 280z with different door catches, stronger body etc. But i am basing it off cars in Australia..but it should be the same for you.

I have an early '74 260z (UK model) and 240z bumpers will definitely not bolt on without modification; the bumper mounts are in a different position on the back of the car.

Here's how far I had to move the mounting points on a 240z rear valence to make it fit on my car:

IMAG0415_zpsef47dd63.jpg

Rear of my car:

IMAG0013_zps860078e3.jpg

If you compare it to the rear of a 240z you can see how far offset they are:

102_6995.JPG