3 replies to this topic

#1 Z31carowner

Z31carowner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFort Worth

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

If I get an FS5R30A tranny from a Pathfinder instead of  a 300ZX, will I have to change the gear ratio? 

I know they are different on the Z32's, but unknown on the Pathfinder.

The only reason I care is this guy at a salvage yard is charging more for the one from the 300ZX.  I assume because it's a sports car or more sought after.  I'll take the cheaper Pathfinder one if it's workable that way.

#2 NewZed

NewZed

Clandestine Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5264 posts
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Apparently the ratios are different depending on 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive.  So it would help to know that, to start.  If the transmissions are out and he'll let you examine them, you could do some measuring/counting.  Always good to spin things anyway to see what shape they're in.

#3 HowlerMonkey

HowlerMonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1381 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Somewhere there is a transmission dimensions thread which details that the pathfinder transmission has the shifter a bit closer to the bellhousing than would likely work in a z31.

#4 madkaw

madkaw

HybridZ Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1778 posts
  • LocationBloomington, Indiana

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Did you try the z32 trans threads? I thought I was reading about that the other day
Steve,
9/71 240z. 2.4 -.40 over, balanced. E-88 Bigger SS valves, stage 2, 6x2 header, true dual exhaust. BW t-5 , STI LSD 3.90- triple Mikunis 40mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users