HybridZ

Center console repair possible?

Hypertek

So i know people have been able to do pretty amazing jobs repairing their dashboards. Is there was a similar way to do a cracked center console? 

Here is my damaged area, got the car like this.

post-1061-0-28311300-1390810571_thumb.jpg

I know getting a new placement would be the way to go, but if i could repair it for a few bucks, that would be awesome to hold me over until than (more money for other goodies).

Do you still have the small pieces that are missing in the photo? If so, ABS Cement and a backing material might work. I would carefully drill (or better yet, use a soldering iron) a small hole at the ends of the cracks to prevent the cracks from spreading. Fill/sand with the ABS Cement, and then use a textured paint over the entire thing.

...or find a replacement, depends on how perfect it has to be.

I bought a new console from West Covina Nissan.  Still available for the 260-280 from Nissan and it was "only" $140 at the time...  MUCH more stout than the original console - the plastic is thicker in all of the critical areas.  I waffled on the decision for any number of months - in the end, I'm stupidly happy I went this route.

Having said that...  The plastic used to make the console IS ABS and "plumbers" ABS cement is a very good glue to use for repairs.  (Journeyman Plumber - can't tell you the amount af ABS plastic drain piping I've glued together in my career...)   I've repaired a "cracked in half at the shift lever" console using the method(s) described above.  Cracks that will have no stress can sometimes just be glued back together.  Mostly you'll need the "piece of ABS plastic glued to the underside method" to stabilize and reinforce the damaged area.  I used strips / pieces of ABS glued to the backside for strength and clamped them up while the glue set.

With yours, recreating the missing mounting holes will be the toughest part - and you have a good amount of material missing.  That'll take some patience.  Best of Luck which ever way you decide to go.

Edited by cgsheen

All these are great repair ideas; and if you decide to replace, you're in CA and you will find a TON of cheap and readily accessible used parts for these old S30's.

Also, there are several vendors that offer cool console covers that incorporate drinks holders, like this one from MSA:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic08e06

Good luck and happy motoring.

• 4 weeks later...

I second the ABS glue. I built a whole console out of a sheet of ABS plastic and used the ABS pipe glue I bought at the hardware store. The stuff fuses the plastic together like it was one piece.

Can we trouble you for some pictures (if available) of the result of this?

All these are great repair ideas; and if you decide to replace, you're in CA and you will find a TON of cheap and readily accessible used parts for these old S30's.

Also, there are several vendors that offer cool console covers that incorporate drinks holders, like this one from MSA:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic08e06

Good luck and happy motoring.

+ 1, the console armrest will be a solution with added use  :icon10:

• 2 weeks later...

Heck - cut yourself a piece of 1/4" birch plywood to the shape of the bottom.  Mount it with screws from underneath.  You could even cut holes in the plywood ahead of time to fit a piece of PVC pipe the size of a cup holder and glue that in place in the wood, spray it all black and then attach it to the console.  If it's only temporary have some fun with it.

Edited by Phantom

• 3 weeks later...

Fiberglass resin and abs plastics work very well together, just use a mat fiber backing and it will literally be stronger in the repaired location than in original condition.

I also like to use the mat fiberglass as apposed a roll because for some reason it just lays out flatter and wont curl on you. sand and paint with any combination of rattle can paint or rubberized bed liner is awesome, just test it on something else first for how much stippling it has after its dry. different brands, different end result.       

• 1 year later...

I bought a new console from West Covina Nissan.  Still available for the 260-280 from Nissan and it was "only" $140 at the time...  MUCH more stout than the original console - the plastic is thicker in all of the critical areas.  I waffled on the decision for any number of months - in the end, I'm stupidly happy I went this route.

Did you call them for this part? Tried looking on their website but there is no listing for anything remotely as old as our cars.