HybridZ

Fatigue or just BAD FABRICATION WORK?

New-to-240z

Poor fabrication work.  All the strength was cut out of the strut tower.  Post the name of the fabricator so we can all avoid the shop.  They are going to kill someone some day.

I agree with JC on this, the quality of the engineering work is not "workmanlike" which is the standard in CA.

This IS NOT anything you need a lawyer to settle or litigate.

The Steps:

1) return to shop and have them make it right. That means perform the modifications in a workman like manner. That means without the hideous monkey welds and properly radiused cuts that do not promote concentrated stresses that promote sheet metal tearing. They will eat this cost, if they deem parts are now required that cost sharing would be negotiated but lean heavily to it was what should have been done in the first place.

Alternately, you take it to another shop (see JC's tag line) for estimates on PROPER installation/repair of the components. Present this to the original shop for consideration on payment.

If they refuse...and refuse any refund of monies paid...

2) Spend the $40 in Small Claims Court, and go for the costs to make it right. Once you have a judgement, collecting is your problem, my personal favourite is to get with the Sheriff and show at the shop for confiscation of shop equipment or inventory for resale equivalent in (wholesale) costs to your judgement.

The monies here and failure don't warrant anything above small claims court. Use your relatives to coach you on how to present and to prepare, but they can't use a lawyer there, either. It's easy and fairly quick.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, as my lawyer once told me: "Truth is an absolute defence!"

Listing the name of the shop in conjunction with the photos of the workmanship and failed components in a post soliciting opinions is far from being either libelous or slanderous.

It merely informs people of your experiences. What people choose to do with that information afterwards is up to them

Though likely a lawyer would say to not mention the shop until negotiations or litigation are complete to use as leverage to get concessions...

• 3 weeks later...

post-2769-0-71431400-1390848598_thumb.jp

Still can't get over the pictures of the work and the statements about $100,000 cars, etc.  The two do not fit together at all.

Why did you edit out the name of the company?  I looked at their site and they don't advertise fabrication work, they just sell parts.  Are you sure that some sales guy didn't talk you in to work on the side.

Still just an odd story.

They do drift competition cars, and are at all the drift shows. I took their name out because I am starting the lawsuit with them, and don't want them to consider it bad-mouthing their shop. 

They do drift competition cars, and are at all the drift shows.

Actually, that makes sense since weld quality would usually be covered by the diff cover in the drift world.  Maybe they decided to branch out and got exposed.  Good luck with the lawsuit.

Couldn't resist the weld comment.  I don't really get drift-world.  I did it in the rain when I was in high school but got over it.

Edited by NewZed

• 2 months later...

**Update 5/12/14**

After talking with several officials and local welding shops I decided that the current company will no longer be allowed to touch my car. The work that they performed on my 1973 240Z was considered to be done by an unlicensed (or poorly, poorly, poorly trained) welder. On top of that, the work itself would not pass ANY inspection when taking my car to the track. How this company allowed my car to leave the shop in such a condition is beyond me.

I spoke with Adrian over at Vildini MotorSports and was LUCKY enough to get my car in for him to give it a once over and re-do the work correctly. I just received word back from Adrian that the front end work has been completed, and I wanted to show you the completed work . . .

Here is the work performed by the OTHER company . . . 

post-2769-0-25338700-1399886605_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-91581400-1399886620_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-10826000-1399886647_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-24789600-1399886667_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-88673200-1399886687_thumb.jpg

After all was said and done this is the work performed by Adrian . . . WORLDS better and done RIGHT!

post-2769-0-34962400-1399886740_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-52845100-1399886755_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-23608000-1399886772_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-19331000-1399886789_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-59053700-1399886804_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-11735900-1399886817_thumb.jpgpost-2769-0-34937900-1399886828_thumb.jpg

Thank you AGAIN Adrian for the quality work that you do. I will update everyone with the Original shop's name as soon as litigation is completed. I'm having Adrian also resolve the issues that I have been having in the rear of the car (also done by the other shop!!) once he has more time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Love the new bar! BEEFY! Sucks to see what happened. I'm local, and I never plan to let anyone touch my z that shouldn't. This is a perfect example as to why I will not. I'm blessed to know welders, and good ones. Also, in regards to the "OTHER COMPANY" I hope they are not the same welders that have welded the megan coils to your factory spindles? If so have that rechecked as well. GL w/ your race season when it begins. 

Joel

Good to see you got it repaired...and that it actually WAS repairable.

I hope you don't get or let any non-disclosure clauses become involved in whatever financial settlement you work out, as this is someplace to steer clear of....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well guys, its been a long trip and the end is finally here. I just received my last payment for the judgement in my favor in the case I took these guys to court for. I didn't want to chance screwing up anything until everything was said and done.

I just talked with my lawyer and since no confidentiality agreement was part of the judgement I can share with you the company that did this horrible work.

Shutuko Engineering Inc.

18305 Bedford Cir, La Puente, CA 91744

So, it was a long journey and my car is finally up and running again after having Adrian (Vildini Motorsports)fix everything. Hopefully I save at least one person the pain I went through. Thanks everyone for your help and encouraging words. 

This community rocks!

John C, you serious? You know the place? I've only found one other person who has dealt with them, and reported their problems. I'm going on google and yahoo anmd yelp to make sure that people know they are not what they claim to be. What's crazy is they have 100K cars in their garage having work done and yet they do this kind of work. Blows my mind!!

• 5 months later...