HybridZ

Custom LD28 Crankshaft

Redxiii

Tony D, any idea how big of a stroke one might be able to run inside a l series block? Even if some of the crankcase would have to be ground that's wouldn't be an issue, I have a very capable machinist.

Maybe I will still try to go ahead and get a quote from scat at the very least, although I still do not have that measurements I asked for originally, I have my P30 block almost completely disassembled.

I will post up every single measurement one might need to get a custom crankshaft made in the very near future!

Edited by Redxiii

• 8 months later...

Not to bump an old thread but I have sent an inquiry to Scat asking what kind of price point they could give me if we could get 20 people to commit to buying a crank if they produced it. I would think that 20 people would be a large enough group to bring the cost down significantly. More details to follow when I hear back from them.

Heard back from Scat today, here is the E-Mail

Hi Christian,

Thanks for contacting us for this project.

We can definitely help you guys out. Our regular price for crank like this is $3200.00 and for the quantities you are looking for we could do it for $2800.00 each with a minimum of 10 pieces.

Another option would be for us to have our offshore billet manufacture quote them.  We may be able to get the price down to $2000.00 or less with a minimum order of 5 pieces.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks, Travis

Travis Kennedy

Scat Enterprises Inc

1400 Kingsdale Ave.

Redondo Beach, CA 90278

Phone # 310.370.5501 Ext. 150

Cell # 805.431.5711

Fax # 310.793.0739

www.scatenterprises.com

tkennedy@scatenterprises.com

So around $2800 for a Crank made here in the States and somewhere around $2000 for a Chinese Crank. Personally I'd pay extra just to keep the work here in the USA but that's just me. Anyone have any interest?

THAT ^ is much cool, very wow. I wonder how much it would be to get a plate made like that with correct oil and water passages for an L engine, then we could maybe use an LD crank and longer rods and get a large displacement maybe even close to the 3.4litres Rebello will be making?!

A banned user has the CAD file for exactly such a thing.

The modern day money maker for imports is to kit parts which scat does (not 500 or 5000 combinations like a chevy).  If there was a standard stroker setup with probably a flat top piston they could justify a forging and selling kits to catalog companies like summit, jegs, liberty for these engines. Scat can sell you a balanced rotating assembly in most other makes, sure makes things simple.  

For the money and effort, I'd rather go with as much stroke possible. Might as well play with options to lighten it, have it knife edged, counter balanced, etc. Whatever to make it stand out from the used $600 cranks that pop up reguarly. Offering an affordable option to kameari's larger stroke $5,000+ crank would be great for stateside builders as well. Right now the options are nearly $10k for a 3.35, right? Personally, I'd push the chinese option. That $1000 is forged 89-90mm pistons right there. Cheaper the better is the general consensus of the datsun community imo.

Edited by 1vicissitude

"Free, and come to pick it up it's yours" is overpriced in the American Datsun Community in my experience!

Haha yeah... Still think it would be beneficial to offer more stroke than just copy the ld28. $2,000 for a large stroke crank, places like Datsun spirit and Rebello would certainly have their interests peaked for their higher dollar builds. I don't think it's all that uncommon for builds from either to cost 8k or more, would certainly make things interesting without a huge price hike.

Edited by 1vicissitude

So how many folks have figured out the method I am using to get a 90mm stroke L32 crankshaft?

Hint...what other Nissan has the same bore spacing, same bearing diameters, and has a timing belt instead of a chain?

Some effort required...

Nay, look closer to home. Although, there is a guy with 96mm stroke forgings out there, for the 3.6L engines...

The RB crankshaft can be pressed into service, but it requires work. An RB forging, as long as the snout and bearings are not finished, is the place to start from.

• 2 months later...