HybridZ

Please, no more mega threads!

What has happened to this forum? I mean we have had 6 new topics started in 2014 and one is Sunny posting about his car in a magazine! In 2014 I think Keith has 6 new topics alone on his "Looking for a Mentor" thread. Can we get back to creating a new topic for each topic we are speaking about instead of creating these gazillion page topics? It's really a pet peeve of mine but I'm sure it would help out anyone who comes here for the first time and does a search. Having 3 or 4 topics that cover EVERYTHING pretty much defeats the purpose of the forum.

I'm sure I will be bashed for writing this or have it removed completely but I'm a big boy and can take the fallout :)

Joe

I have a build log "blog" in Member Projects, then I post specific issues in the specific forum of hybridz.org.  I put chassis wiring stuff in the Model Specific forum.  I put LS powertrain wiring stuff in the Gen III section. I put drivetrain stuff in the drivetrain forum.  If I find something in any forum that makes me want to ask a specific question, I usually PM the author so I don't get scolded for not searching adequately and to avoid getting a bunch of speculation from folks who don't know what they are talking about.  I don't think we have any big problem.  I just need rags to come to Alabama for some home brew and to help me put a supercharger on my car (and pay for it).

What has happened to this forum?

It's lost a LOT of activity. I realize you were referring to this subforum specifically, but Hybridz as a whole is much slower than it was ~4 years ago. I used to be able to sign in here @4pm when classes got out, and there would be half a page or more of new posts in non-tech. Today, there are posts a month old on the first page. It's disappointing how slow this forum is these days, and IMO it has a bit to do with the forum software changeover.

Edited by rturbo 930

Yeah I've seen that as well. This forum use to get a lot more traffic. It does still pick up during summer, but even then most of the n00bs are in check. 

Could it be that we've just answered so many questions that people are actually finding answers and not needing to post new topics?

I think we are at a generational change. A bunch of us have finished our swaps and are just basically maintaining them. Plus it is 26 degrees (freakin freezing) in Alabama-probably sub-zero in New Jersey or Iowa, so only Sunny Z is crazy enough to get out the welder in this weather. There are a bunch of guys in the process of getting started-I know two guys who are actively looking for their powertrains and are starting to collect parts. When they start asking questions, if we want more discussion on this thread, lets all agree not to scold them for asking questions (Did you search?!"). But rather just give them the help they need? Open up your build books and give the new guys part numbers, sources and such?

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yeah I've seen that as well. This forum use to get a lot more traffic. It does still pick up during summer, but even then most of the n00bs are in check. 

Could it be that we've just answered so many questions that people are actually finding answers and not needing to post new topics?

I think this. I don't know how it was, but there is so much info out there i feel lazy if i make a post just ask a question. I also think it is hard to do something new or original on a car that has had such a following for so long. Guess that's a kudos to those that came before me!

I think this has been discussed 8654678755 times before on here so if you used the search function you would have found your answer. google is your friend after all. That being said is the reason why I think it's slow. I get about as much on PMs as I do on the forum. Forums are supposed to get things out in the open to be talked about.If everyone just searched and PMed like most people on here would like, |I'm sure it would wither away quickly. instead of the policy being don't ever discuss anything that has been discussed before, maybe it should be something more along the lines of no spoon feeding. There's been a few times that I started a post and just deleted it because I didn't want to rattle the search knobs' cages. i thought everyone here was here because we like talking Z's.

Between looking at multiple 5.3/6.0/LS1 builds on the first page as long as you search/pm maybe 1 or 2 things for misc parts for the swap it's all there. And the instructions at the top with pics. A noob doesn't have too many to ask if they read a little. All the pm's I've got lately are people gathering parts and where to get mounts for setups like rear ends (300zxt adapters) and different transmissions from the norm (700r4/tr6060/power glide). But I agree it's been freezing around east tn here lately as well and hard to work on in the cold.

Come on guy's you are missing the point. Why post everything about anything in one topic? Isn't that a blog?? I think we are taking the "search, it's already been discussed 8654678755 times before on here" a little too far. This forum is still about Z cars and last I checked, they haven't made an S30 in 36 years so yes, I'm sure everything has been discussed before. If we are going to use HybridZ as a reference point only, we should just have all the threads locked and be done with it. IMO the only thing the mega threads do it give a poster a way to circumvent the search nazis. Can we go back to the way things were when everyone was happy to talk freely on here? Don't get me wrong, there is certainly reason to moderate the board but basing people because they didn't search? To me if the question can be answered easily, why not just answer and them say in the future searching would provide your answer quicker? Kinda like being a good neighbor :)

And yes, PM'ing also circumvents the search nazis. Anyone answer a PM with "search, it's already been discussed 8654678755 times before on here"? Didn't think so.

Joe

Edited by rags

My post was sarcastic. I think if someone asks a question to either answer it or not put anything at all. If someone can take the time to put that stuff then they have the time to put an answer or a link.

I see your point on individual topics but I also like to follow interesting build threads. I don't know how many people would update their build thread with whatever project they're working on and then start a separate thread with the one aspect of it pulled out. It would make it easier to find though. The best way to search for something is use google's advanced forum search or enter the search manually in this format for anyone who may not know:

whatever you want to search for site:hybridz.org

Just a different perspective I sold all my Z's last summer. Haven't posted much or been around much. I've found lots to read and explore. I just got my new 71 Saturday!

My point is if you have lobster every night you get tired of it too. Take a hybrid break.

I do miss seeing BRAPP around and BigPhil.

Edited by JSM