HybridZ

never seen this type of r200 please help me id it

guns

I pulled a r200 form a 87 turbo 300zx today. When i cracked it open did not look like a lsd or open diff . I was hoping someone could help me id it

when i held the the drive shaft and spun one cv axle the other spun in the opposite direction 

when i spun the drive shaft the only one cv axle spun

it did not have fins on the back of the case.

im hoping its a lsd or vlsd

all the r200s i came across so far you can see the spider gears very easy 

thanks for the help

IMG_20140205_151647_281_zpsd574a40b.jpg

IMG_20140205_151614_812_zps99722577.jpg

IMG_20140205_151703_030_zpsb0e6e2f0.jpg

IMG_20140205_163934_005_zpsa4c1e0a8.jpg

IMG_20140205_163939_187_zps38e75f3e.jpg

its the same size as my other r200 

the machined outer surface of the carrier is what i cant figure out and in the center of the spider gears there is something in it not just the rod like I am use to seeing

here a pic of what all my r200s before looked liked 

maxresdefault_zpse1b531bc.jpg

Edited by guns

I've seen guys get pissed in the classifieds when guys insist on photos with the cover removed. This is why. Many of us have bought an open diff that came from a car that is SUPPOSED to have a CLSD or VLSD. There's a lot of weird parts floating around after 40 years.

The picture above is a 2 pinion. The reason the carrier has to bolt together on the OP's diff is that you can't have a big window in a 4 pinion carrier. There just wouldn't be any way to get the pinions in there, because the cross pin shaft is an X, and there wouldn't be anyplace for the pinions to ride on the case, so the carrier bolts together instead.

Here is a thread where they disassemble the 4 pin open:

http://z31performance.com/forum/z31-performance-forums/driveline/12411-four-pinion-open-diff

Thanks for the details and the link.  I didn't know there was a four pinion open option.  More knowledge.

I'm going to assume you can do more one wheel burnouts with a four-pinion than a two-pinion.  Four is better than two.

Edited by NewZed