HybridZ

New 240z/ls1 build. whos got the best motor/ trans mount?

This is my first 240z/ LS swap and I'm having trouble finding whos got the better motor mount for ny application. I already have the motor and 700r4 trans ready to go. The motor is comming out of a 1985 chevy 4x4 witch originally was in a 99 gmc Sierra. I see that the plates have the hole pattern already drilled for standard chevy motor mounts. knowing this, would the v8 swap kit that the thezstore.com offers work? Or is there a better mounting package out there for ls1?

The motor mounts are more of a cocern for me, i think i can easily fab a 700r4 mount once the motor is in place

JCI mounts which can be found at brokenkitty.com are what quite a few folks use. With a lil mod on some pieces they work very well.

Hawks third gen are very nice and just came to market, you would have to PM the guy (think his name is bruce)since it will not show on their website. Think 280zjake had some pictures of the setup.

Few others are out there or you could fab your own.

Good luck on your build

As much as I like JCI (and I do) we need a couple of guys to thoroughly document the Hawks Third Gen swap. Maybe the guy will discount you if you do a writeup? For what it is worth, JCI is easy to work with, talks on the phone directly to you, ships fast and stands by their products. The only issue with the JCI kit is no long tube headers and poor 240z exhaust clearance thru the trans crossmember. No one seems to have a clean, simple, cookbook method for marrying the engine harness to the chassis harness. We all seem to do that differently. I am fine with block huggers because they are so easy to install.

SOOOOOO many great things to say about that build (I just went thru all the pictures).  A few issues that I see:  Is that a 240 or a 280Z (?)  from the turn signals and the floor pans, I think it is a 280, and the transmission tunnel in a 280 is so much wider that there is no comparison.  I promise I'm not trying to cause problems, but a part made to fit a 280z jig might not fit a 240z.  Whereas, if you go the other way: use a 240z jig, things should fit the 280z fine.  We saw this with the last long tube header group buy.  Secondly, I guess proximity to floor pans is always going to be an issue with lots of tubes around the footwell, but with block hugger headers I have no floorpan heat issues at all, even with bare metal floors.  I DO have a very hot transmission tunnel, however, further back where my 3" pipes are close to the wall of the tunnel.  I also don't understand why the top radiator hose is so contorted, when someone who obviously has skills as a tig welder is available-move that hose over within the top tank!  But, I'm not certain-can the inlet go anywhere within the top tank, or maybe it has to go on the far driver's side?  It would be better if that inlet tube could be relocated, then that cool cold air intake would look like a symphony.  There are so many terrific things to say:  I LOVE the fuel pump placement, especially with the dual pumps-that is freakin' fantastic.  I also like the simplicity of running flexible fuel hoses from front to rear-it eliminates a bunch of fuel fittings (the place where leaks happen) when compared to using a combination of solid and soft lines.  I am a big fan of the model 74 clutch master cylinder over the model 75, because the 74 has a master cylinder bleed port-really comes in handy.  But the 75 does look cleaner.   I really like the transmission mount and all the exhaust clearance it gives.  That being said, the kit pictured in the photos requires a lot of welding, whereas the JCI kit bolts in without any welding at all.  If I were of sufficient resources to just drop my car off at Hawks Third Gen to have them do all the fabrication work, I think in the end I would have a better machine than the one I have built in my garage using the JCI kit.  Its the difference between a skilled fabricator and the hobbyist with basic lefty-loosy, righty-tighty skill set like me.  I'm a fan of both kits, and I now want a supercharger!  I wonder if Hawks Third Gen would be willing put together a simple 9-inch kit for us (please, please) that somehow could preserve stock floorpan configuration?  That would force me to become a 2-Zcar household with one for turns and one for straights (no gender preference intended).  Maybe if we prove a worthy market-everybody go spend some money!

Edited by RebekahsZ

In reference to the upper hose in most applications the hoses need to be on opposite sides, otherwise the coolant would not flow across the radiator and have ample time to cool. If they were on top of each other the coolant would just go straight down and out with no efficiency. There are a few exceptions with custom radiators.

i think it's comparable with the others. Bruce's car has a 10% overdriven crank pulley for the magnacharger and it clears the steering rack. look and see how much room you have between your pulley and rack so we can determine if higher or lower.

Take a measurement from the bottom of your balancer to the top of the steering rack to determine the difference. I have mine mounted about a 1/2 inch lower than Bruces car with no issues. I have put right at 10K miles on my car mostly street and hwy miles. I wanted mine lower for track days and autocross. Grab a measurement when you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...