HybridZ

R200 Center Question

Dj Technick

I've tried searching but haven't had much luck.  Recently I purchased an R200 from a 280zx, when it arrived it didn't have the output/side flanges in it.  When looking inside I noticed the center had a block in it with a threaded hole.  I called the person I bought it from and was told this style didn't have side flanges and the u joint had a long bolt that went through and held it in place rather then a snap ring.

My question is, can I use the snap ring style side flanges in it?  If not am I able to have a shop swap the 280z R200 center that uses the snap ring flanges in it without any issue?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions.

Can't picture the "long bolt" and the "block with a threaded hole", but 280ZX's came tripod axles (similar to CV's) with splines at both ends, so you won't find any 280ZX R200's with stub axles unless someone stuck some 280Z stubs in there. Have you confirmed that there's no groove to hold the circlip? 

The turbo ZX's, and maybe some 2+2's, and the odd coupe came with the CV-style axles.  The NA coupes generally still came with u-joint half-shafts.  I have a couple of ZX R200's and a collection of ZX u-joint shafts in the garage.  The bolt-in style flange is typical of the R180's.  I have none of those.

I'll have to take a picture when I get home to verify that it's an R200.  I'll also post a picture looking into both sides.  I bought it from a junk yard and they said they polled it out of a 79 N/A manual trans 280zx.  I called them again today to verify that's what it came out of and they said that's what it was from and explained the whole bolted u joint bit to me.