HybridZ

Strut options for ground control coilovers?

Hi guys, 

I'm in the process of doing a ground control coilover install and I'm having a real hard time figuring out what struts I am going to use. I'm planning on dsectrioning the struts 1.5" and using the aw11 MR2 rear strut and 280z front strut.

I originally wanted to use Tokico illumina or hp but they are not available in the US indefinitely so that isn't an option anymore. I'm wanting to stay around $100 or less per shock.

The car will see mostly street time with maybe a few track days sprinkled in.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

There's just such a big price difference between the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff. On a street car, you probably won't see a difference, heck, we haven't even talked spring rate (you will get a million opinions there)..  Unless you are an experienced driver who races in sanctioned events every weekend, have a race team and have mega dollars for lots of private track time for trial and error testing, you likely won't see a difference between any of the shocks out there.  The guys who really tune their suspensions for the most part are professional team with professional drivers and crew chiefs.  Save your money for wheels, paint and tires.  Just my suggestion.  If you don't already have great tires, that's probably a better place to spend money.

Thanks guys, I think since I can get all 4 KYB GR2 shocks for ~$150 I'm just going to get these for the time being and then towards the end of the year I'll see what the situation is regarding Tokico and their US distributors.

I just really need some shocks asap so that I can go ahead and measure and section the struts. This way I can get the suspension back to ether and functional and then see about really upgrading the performance at a later time.

The Bilstein Rabbit shock wasn't too much more last time I bought a set and they will handle reasonable  stiff spring rates. You might check them out.

I'm hoping to build some coilovers by summer but have a hard time justifying the expense of the Konis as a more casual autocrosser. I've been thinking about the Bilsteins, but I hear sourcing gland nuts to fit the Datsun struts can be near impossible. Is there any reason the stock Datsun gland nut can't be turned down to the proper profile and opening as the Bilstein? 

No, the Bilstien P30 is an inverted shock and the gland nut actually seals on the sliding, hard chromed shock body.  The Bilstien gland nut uses a double wiper seal.  Shox.com has sourced the gland nuts for meand should have the corrct part numbers.  There are also options for using the parts included in the box with the shocks.  There are a couple writeups here where the person welds the female ring on the top of the strut tube and then uses the included male gland nut.

No flame.  Tokico has been out of product for almost a year and I just saw a job opening for an Aftermarket Product Manager on LinkedIn so people are leaving the company.  The Bilstiens are the best option for you.  It will just take some work to put together the package.  I offered it (P30-0032 shocks, gland nuts, and gland nut tightening wrench) for $800 for a year or two and only sold one set.  Most folks said it was too expensive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...