HybridZ

viable compressor outlet to j-pipe coupler options

alexx933

I have some major boost leak going on due to having a huge tear (about an inch long and then another inch long tear going 90*) in what looks like the original 81 connector from the turbo to the j-pipe. My local auto store had some specifically turbo hose that is seriously thick. It is about the right diameter but slightly too small. Even submerging this turbo hose in boiling water for minutes at a time won't allow the hose to be pliable enough to slip on. That part sucks because this hose is $3 per inch!! So I had to put the torn coupler back on.

I have seen a lot of silicone couplers being used in numerous threads and was wondering if they hold up to the heat. My main concern isn't intercooler piping as much as it is proximity to the turbo. I'm sure my hands are not the only ones to have been burnt while working close to the turbo. I don't want to buy a silicone coupler and have it go out on me while I'm driving down the road. 

Any feedback, links to threads, or suggestions to finding my answer would be appreciated! 

Alex

I would that's too that thick though. And I wouldn't use those regular silicone couplers for intercoolers most of the ones I seen are too thin. Go a diesel turbo shop I'm sure you can find something sturdy yet not as thick. Remember stock turbo get pretty tight there especially at the clamp and oil line.Also the stock jpipe has a cool double clamp that holds on both ends its much more stable than having two separate clamps. If you don't find anything I believe I have an nice hose for you if you want cover the shipping and wait its yours for free. I think I have the double clamp too.

Yeah, I'd run that if I could get it on the turbo.  It's ugly as sin but I doubt that it would cause problems. It's not silicone, however; it looks like a rubber hose, braided liner and some kind of wrapped outer. What you don't want is the non-braided type...it'll expand and break.

Ideally you'd want a braided, 3 or 4 layer, silicone hose. The shorter the better.

EDIT: just followed your link. I run those silicone couplers on my own car; they seem "thin" but they have four layers of braid in them and on a few cars we've used them on they've held 18PSI without issues. You won't likely "blow" any braided-layer, silicone, coupler, even on the turbo outlet...more likely if it's a bad coupler it'll blow off, slipping out of the clamp.

Edited by Xnke

I wish that ugly brown tube would have worked but the ID was slightly too small and wouldn't slip on at all. I ended up ordering a 4 ply woven aramid reinforced turbo hose which has an ID of 2 inches and length of 4 inches. That's fairly long but the turbo and j-pipe should slide right up to each other. I'll just make sure and clamp them down hard.

Once again, thanks for the help! Maybe this will resolve some of the issues I've been having!