HybridZ

Project 280ZX Megasquirt 1 v3.57 What all is needed?

Connor280ZX

Alright, i'm on a budget which is why i'm deciding on MS1, and this car is also N/A, so i don't think ill need all of the optional whistles and bells in MS.

Here's my understanding of what i'll need:

-MS1 ECU PCB 3.57 (Of course)

-240SX TPS

-IAT

-8ft Harness

Am i missing anything?

Will i be able to use my factory engine hardware with MS? (Injectors, fuel rail, EGR vavle etc.)

You should read the Megamanual 15 times, then go back and read it again 5 times. It is your bible and your friend. You also have to decide quite a few things.

Are you putting the unit together yourself or are you buying an assembled unit??.. you should get a stim unit to check your progress as you go along, if your soldering it up yourself. You have to decide how you want the unit to provide spark. You have to decide what component you want to use, like the bip, then what system are you going to use. Turbo dist, or Coil on plug or Wasted spark. Are you doing fuel only or ignition and fuel??.

You can use high impedence injectors or low impedence injectors with megasquirt, but you have to decide which ones to use and set the unit settings for either ones. To me its easier to set the unit up for high impedence injectors, less you have to do if you ever go turbo and have to go with higher cc injectors.

Buy some quick disconnect connectors for your injectors and temp sensor. The factory ones are most likely broken or corroded. To use zx injectors you need dropping resisters for the injectors.

Megasquirt only uses electrical signals, Egr or fuel rail are not affected. You don't need the Afm anymore. Most of this info is in the Megamanual or DIY

Edited by dexter72

Yeah there's a surprising amount of info to read.  On the front page of this very forum in fact.

But anyway, I wouldn't recommend getting a v3.57 board. It will really limit what you can do with it down the road if you want to make any changes. Stick to the v3.0 board.

Look one post below yours.

Yes, i did look at that post but he is using the latest MS3 with a turbo setup... So i assume the installation process will differ quite a bit from mine.

You should read the Megamanual 15 times, then go back and read it again 5 times. It is your bible and your friend. You also have to decide quite a few things.

Are you putting the unit together yourself or are you buying an assembled unit??.. you should get a stim unit to check your progress as you go along, if your soldering it up yourself. You have to decide how you want the unit to provide spark. You have to decide what component you want to use, like the bip, then what system are you going to use. Turbo dist, or Coil on plug or Wasted spark. Are you doing fuel only or ignition and fuel??.

You can use high impedence injectors or low impedence injectors with megasquirt, but you have to decide which ones to use and set the unit settings for either ones. To me its easier to set the unit up for high impedence injectors, less you have to do if you ever go turbo and have to go with higher cc injectors.

Buy some quick disconnect connectors for your injectors and temp sensor. The factory ones are most likely broken or corroded. To use zx injectors you need dropping resisters for the injectors.

Megasquirt only uses electrical signals, Egr or fuel rail are not affected. You don't need the Afm anymore. Most of this info is in the Megamanual or DIY

I will for sure be buying a pre-assembled unit. I'm not the best electrician, haha. I want to control fuel and ignition. I am going to stick with my trusty Ignition coil. I've heard it's reccomended to use a Turbo ZX dizzy, or an 82-83 dizzy, but would one from a Turbo give me better results? The car is a 1981 btw. I would prefer to use my stock injectors if possible. All connectors will be replaced. Dropping resistors... Each injector will need an individual one? I assume i could tap them in to the injector harness.

Yeah there's a surprising amount of info to read.  On the front page of this very forum in fact.

But anyway, I wouldn't recommend getting a v3.57 board. It will really limit what you can do with it down the road if you want to make any changes. Stick to the v3.0 board.

Hmmm, alright i'll take your word for it. Thanks for the tip.

DIYAT sells MS1 With the 3.57 board now. Did some more sniffing around, seems like the 3.57 version is tricky to tune and some people have more problems with it, so i'm gonna look at the 3.0 version.

About the only difference is one resistor on the VR conditioner input; if you run into problems with it, you can add a 10K resistor inline with the VR sensor to get the same behavior as a V3.0.

MS1 V3.57s don't sell very much for some reason. Most people who go for an assembled unit either go for an MS1 V2.2, or an MS2  on the V3.57 board. I can understand why some people figure the MS1 V3.57 doesn't exist; it's pretty rare.

Edited by Matt Cramer

It should fit just fine, I mounted mine in the spot where the ecu would have been, had the 260z had efi in America. Not sure if the 260z overseas model had efi.

Unless DIY has changed its website, If you are buying an assembled unit from them, then you tell them the one of two ways you want the unit to control spark output. That used to be in there Faq section, should be on there website somewhere.

Our assembled MS1s are set up for fuel only unless special ordered otherwise.

If i were to buy just the basic MS1 ECU, would i be able to enable spark later on with lets say a software upgrade, or does the MS1 ECU have to be specially equipped with certain hardware in order to control spark?