HybridZ

Rb26dett VS 2JZGTE VVT-I

grayson260z

I've narrowed my search for an engine to swap into my '74 Datsun to either a Nissan 2.6l Rb26 or a Toyota 3l 2jzgte. Following will be my reasons for each engine and why I want to swap it. (ALL PRICES ARE AS LISTED ON www.jdmenginedepot.com)

RB26DET:

1). keep the tradition going of an inline 6, 2.6l as the stock l26

2). More suppport and kits avaliable on the market

3). Very distinct sound of an RB :icon14: ...(The link to the RB http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/106/Nissan_RB26DETT_Skyline_R32_GT-R_Engine,_Manual_AWD_Trans,_Harness,_&_ECU_JDM_RB26DETT)

2JZGTE:

1). Significantly cheaper than the Rb26 (http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/208/Toyota_2JZ-GTE_VVTI_Aristo_/_Supra_/_Lexus_GS300_/_Lexus_SC300_Engine,_Automatic_Trans_&_Harness_JDM_2JZGTE)

2). Clearance of the turbochargers and the steering column would'nt be a problem

3). C'mon it's a Toyota!

4). I have access to a lot of information on the JZ platform from my friends

THE NEGATIVES OF EACH:

RB26

1; would have to source an rb25 tranny so

2; Japan only ever made a few cars with the RB26 and not many if not none of them reached the states so parts would be a PITA and wallet

3; Turbos apparently have a lot of issue clearing the steering column on a US spec 260z (LHD)

2JZ:

1; More fabrication work (not really an issue)

2; Less support in the since of swap kits without them costing $2k+

3; For some reason I feel like wiring would be a pain (I may be wrong)

4; It would come from the shipper with automatic tranny and that just won't do. So I would then have to find either a W series or save up and find an R154. But shouldnt cost any more than the RB26. And someone might acually want a turbo auto trans from a 2j compared to the S**t box that is the AWD RB tranny.

For fuel I suppose I'm just gonna go the beaten path of probably a 12-15 gallon fuel cell and a Walbro 255

As you can see I have a lot more positives on the Toyota side compared to the RB but I want input from people WHO HAVE ACTUALLY DONE EITHER SWAP (or have assissted in it, or that know more than it is a hard swap)

Thank you guys! - Grayson

Edited by grayson260z

Well, I'd suspect that your 2JZ engine is less likely to be caned to death by previous owners since it's auto, but no guarantees of course. Service parts for the 2JZ have to be cheaper since it's a USA powerplant. I have my RB essentially swapped, but I could not get a single McKinney mount to work; he sent me three different ones and none worked. I have to fab my own. 2JZ owners can attest but I was under the impression that it was actually a pretty easy swap to physically fit in there.

Standalone choices are better on a 2JZ. You can get an AEM and have plenty of ability to swap maps with other 2JZ owners. What are your goals? Walbro isn't going to cut it for either engine with serious goals. Maybe a swirlpot feeding two 044's, etc. IMHO the engines cost a premium for their capability, so I suspect you are planning to go past 400 whp. I would not bother with anything less than an R154.

I would go single anyways on the RB to avoid any issues with the steering column.

EDIT: I have an RB25 swapped. I used to run a speed shop as a tuner, so I am familiar with both engines previously. I also had a mkiv TT with 6 spd.

Edited by WizardBlack

I'm almost ready to swap in my RB26. I went for it because its a Nissan engine, still 2.6L, it looks better than a 2JZ and I've always loved them

Imo a 2JZ would be stronger and less likely to break, they are very well built and tough engines and don't have the problems with he oiling systems that RBs have, they also sound every bit as good as an RB and make great power easily. I was very tempted to go this way.

WizardBlack - Don't agree about standalone options, there are plenty for the RB26, only two I am even considering though is the Link G4+ Extreme or a Syvec S6.

Also where have you guys bought engines/transmissions from in the past? Every website that advertises r154s you send yours in and they just rebuild it.

Here in Toronto there area  lot of import dealers. I bought my Aristo engine and auto tranny for 1500 canadian. I picked up an R154 and flywheel for $800. I picked up a second hand used but new swap kit for 1000 (1500 new)  which included motor + tranny mounts plus driveshaft.

so $3300 for the driveline and items needed to install. Not bad in my books. On to the wiring next. then install in the summer.

There more support and imo more easilt attainable parts for the 2J. I went though the same thing and I ended up going 2JZ

Edited by Ryan Merrill

Just for your information the shit box awd you speak of has the same internals as the 300zx tt and non turbo and that goes for the rb25 tranny as well they all interchange internally. I agree with you its not a getrag but its a very goodd tranny.

As for a choice between the 2 if you live in north america then a 2JZ has WAY MORE support then the RB26.

my 2 cents.

Just for your information the shit box awd you speak of has the same internals as the 300zx tt and non turbo and that goes for the rb25 tranny as well they all interchange internally. I agree with you its not a getrag but its a very goodd tranny.

As for a choice between the 2 if you live in north america then a 2JZ has WAY MORE support then the RB26.

my 2 cents.

Yeah sorry shit box wasn't the appropriate word I just meant in the sense of trying To resell the trans that would come with it not many people are in the market for an rb26 awd trans. I'm more than sure that it is a strong transmission.

• 7 months later...

I hope this thread continues.  I have an L28 N42 custom turbo that just got reincarnated from a bad cam regrind.  Nice to get the other one grafted back on.  Nevertheless, still tired of the limitations and really want more power, but don't want to invest any more in the old dog.  The motor has limitations that can't be easily resolved.  The availability of aftermarket parts is non-existent IMHO.  Try to source a tube header or intake plenum.  Last quote was $3500.  Just put the Z32 train and 300ZX TT CV joints in my '77.  Got tired of blowing trani's I am preaching to the choir, I know.

The 2JZ makes sense or even a 1JZ.  I know guys who have the 1J and are making over 400 RWHP and 600 is within reach.  I figure, get the 2J and keep the boost below 20 psi and get 550 RWHP easy.  Guess I'll find out how much the R200 can stand.

Guess we all need another project., but n the end, I just want to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

also check out 2jzswap.com they have what you'll need. he makes a complete wiring kit. Here is another link to some guys doing harneses. www.tweakdperformance.com the guys at the shop use them all the time. they have them already set up, and they're great with the VVTI engine too. Here's the instagram link my car they're info is on their page too and facebook too. http://instagram.com/p/wRnwheyM2B/

Edited by JGREEZY