Photo
- - - - -

Anybody have an affordable yet good quality radiator they are running on an SR in their z?

radiator sr20det 280z cooling

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jparker893

jparker893

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hey guys, I'm trying decide which radiator to buy for my sr20det swap in my Z. I want to spend around 3-400 dollars. If anyone has had a good experience with a certain radiator I would appreciate the input.

#2 nullbound

nullbound

Rhymenocerous

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationRoswell, GA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

I've seen a few people use the AZ Z crossflow radiator, which meets your budget: http://www.arizonazc...m/radiator.html

#3 jparker893

jparker893

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Thanks that seems like a good radiator run

#4 Phantom

Phantom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2675 posts
  • LocationYakima, Washington

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

You could also recore a 280Z radiator from a 3 to a 4 row and it will do the job and obviously fit the car.

Edited by Phantom, 04 April 2014 - 03:57 PM.

'77 280Z with LS1/T56, '93 Z32 convertible, '05 Audi A8L, '02 Suburban LT

#5 69sroadster

69sroadster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCabot, AR

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

I purchased a new generic Chevy aluminum radiator from JEGS for around $180.  It should just fit inside the frame rails if you get the right one sized out with a basic measurement.  I also bought the Jags That Run mount kit but you could easily fab something up yourself.  I think I may have had to adapt the lower radiator hose size too.  I also found a Lincoln Mk8 or Thunderbird electric fan and it fits almost perfect against the radiator and also comes built into a fan shroud.  It must be the biggest factory electric fan ever near 18" diameter.  I only ever run it on low speed through a relay and that's all I've ever needed in my ZX.  Maybe the ducting is different for a Z body though now that I think about it.  Now that could also affect the radiator and fan selection too.  Oh well, my bad.  Well it worked well for me at least.  That fan is a bit deep so it may still work.  I had to trim the shroud just a little to fit even more snug against the radiator.  All told it should be near what you were aiming price wise.

If you're not breaking things then you're probably not having enough fun.
2006 Buick Rendezvous family hauler
1979 Fairlady 280ZX 2+2 SR20DET daily driver/SCCA cone crusher
1969 2000 Roadster future project

#6 SR20DET280Z

SR20DET280Z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

Once again, the Camaro radiator with the Taurus fan works wonders.  I did have to replace my Taurus fan after 10 years, but it was cheap.  My SR20DET never overheats.  I used to have a huge aluminum and a black magic 2800cfm fan for my 355 sbc Z.  My radiator never had an issue but all aluminum radiators are not made to hold up to daily street driving and crack easily.  My camaro radiator does the job perfectly.  

#7 satalz

satalz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

Pics??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: radiator, sr20det, 280z, cooling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users