HybridZ

Feeding My Addiction (turbo build)

This past summer I just completed my 5.3?/4L60E swap and let me say it was the best choice I could have made for an engine transplant. Parts are redily available from many vendors and upgrades are endless. The power and torque are great but there comes a time when you just get used to the power and the itch for more becomes evident. Therefore I have decided to install the turbo that I purchased before I even bought the engine. I have had the turbo for quite a while and Turbonetics has even made changes to the design since this has been sitting in the box on my office floor. LOL

The turbo is a Turbonetics 72mm. It's part of the Hurricane series and is named Sylvia by it's producer. The Hurricane series is intentionally made smaller for easier placement in limited spaces. It is a little smaller than what most people run but it should serve me well with quick spooling and responsiveness.  I will also be using Tial's Q 50mm bov and Precision's 46mm wastegate. 

As for the hotside, I will be going with SS 2.25" tubing and v-banded truck manifolds. I originally wanted to go with the Ebay SS up and forward headers but the passenger side would not fit. It hit on the passenger side strut tower. I've seen others on here that have fit so I'm guessing I have a different manufacturer's headers. I'm undecided on the downpipe at the moment. I want it to exit somewhere up front but have a few options.

The charge side will be using 3" aluminum tubing with a 26" X 12.5" X 4.5" intercooler from Treadstone. The inlet and outlets of the inercooler go a little past the holes in the core support so I'll be cutting those off and welding on some cast aluminum 90's.

For fueling I'll be going with E85, 60lb injectors, and a KB boost a pump.

Here is what I'm starting with

post-8245-0-44509500-1393005725_thumb.jpgpost-8245-0-83858400-1393005630_thumb.jpg

A few parts

post-8245-0-60266600-1393006171_thumb.jpg

Partially installed intercooler. I need to order and install a few pusher fans in front of the radiator so it's just sitting in there till I know what space the fans will need.

post-8245-0-02528800-1393006279_thumb.jpg

Here are a few of the ideas we had for exhaust outlets.

Bull horn out of the fender

post-8245-0-62749200-1393006683_thumb.jpg

short and stubby out of the fender

post-8245-0-62016600-1393006782_thumb.jpg

Flush cut out of the hood vent

post-8245-0-58885500-1393006931_thumb.jpgpost-8245-0-06308700-1393006893_thumb.jpg

Updates will come as the project progresses so stay tuned and enjoy!

Edited by Slow78z

LOL I have been planning on the turbo 5.3 for awhile looks like there will be a few of us :P

I may have to change it to a turbo coyote just to be different 

However Sunny you know yours will be the only famous one.... you keep hanging out with Mr. Loftis doing them mini cash days. For what its worth I thought you had the beater bomb on that pass. Stupid joey and all that spray  

Edited by geno51

LOL I have been planning on the turbo 5.3 for awhile looks like there will be a few of us :P

I may have to change it to a turbo coyote just to be different

However Sunny you know yours will be the only famous one.... you keep hanging out with Mr. Loftis doing them mini cash days. For what its worth I thought you had the beater bomb on that pass. Stupid joey and all that spray

The more the merrier. We just don't need those bad words around here mister. I can bearly bring myself to say it, coyote. Lol

I got some tig welding done today. After finding out the headers would not work I tried to fit a LS4 front exhaust manifold on the passenger side but that wouldn't work either. It was too tall and hit on the frame. I had still another idea, take a truck manifold and modify it to work which is what happened. Here are the pics.

post-8245-0-33677900-1393206529_thumb.jpgpost-8245-0-49914400-1393206640_thumb.jpgpost-8245-0-19380000-1393206740_thumb.jpgpost-8245-0-77815600-1393206823_thumb.jpg

Here is the drivers side manifold. I traded for this one and it already had the v-band welded on.

post-8245-0-93729700-1393206956_thumb.jpgpost-8245-0-43797900-1393207039_thumb.jpg

Downpipe over the top of the passenger's manifold and out then?  I thought about this, but also couldn't find a manifold that would work without extensive mods.  Looking good.

Thanks Sunny. That's what I'm thinking for an exit. I'm not that big on cutting holes in the Z buuut, I've always thought a fender exaust would be cool.

Struggled with exhaust options too... ended up with a full 3" exhaust out the stock location that Y's off the 4" downpipe. The dp is capped for street driving, and has a v-band extension that transitions to an oval and exits in front of the pass side tire.. no cutting involved and the "best of both worlds" so to speak. I'll eventually add an electric cutout to open the 4" dp when I want to scare the occasional passer by :-) LOL

post-119-0-72840500-1373243152_thumb.jpg

post-119-0-27917600-1373541699_thumb.jpg

Struggled with exhaust options too... ended up with a full 3" exhaust out the stock location that Y's off the 4" downpipe. The dp is capped for street driving, and has a v-band extension that transitions to an oval and exits in front of the pass side tire.. no cutting involved and the "best of both worlds" so to speak. I'll eventually add an electric cutout to open the 4" dp when I want to scare the occasional passer by :-) LOL

That's a sweet setup. That down pipe is huge. I think I could reach up inside and spin your turbin wheel with my fingers. lol. I originally wanted to do an exhaust setup like yours and use an electric cutout but more modifications to engine mounts would be needed. Maybe in the future. I also like how you took pictures of the engine out of the car with the turbo kit insalled. If I get more ambitious I might try that.

Beautiful welding and fab work!  You are gonna be smoking those skinny tires like crazy!  Better get some wheels and tires else you will only be able to race from a roll.

Thanks for the compliment. I hope to get a set of 15" wheels and drag radials for the rear. Driving around on 14" slicks is a little unerving. They like to follow the cracks in the road. lol

Thanks for the compliment. I hope to get a set of 15" wheels and drag radials for the rear. Driving around on 14" slicks is a little unerving. They like to follow the cracks in the road. lol

You should try driving with a 28x10.5 slick out back and a 275 radial out front.

Or rather, don't.  :icon12: