HybridZ

Possible Cracked Block?

Over the entire winter here in Georgia, I left my n/a 280zx alone and hadn't driven it for a few months. Previous to the winter, the engine ran pretty strong and there weren't any issues I could think of other than the exhaust manifold gasket leaking a little. However, this winter, temperatures were especially cold and I suspect that the antifreeze had frozen and cracked my block. When I went to run it this afternoon and take it for a ride, coolant sprayed everywhere in the engine bay on the driver side. At first I thought it was nothing and that one of the hoses were cracked, but after inspecting for awhile I couldn't find any cracked hoses. There is a distinct "puffing" sound coming slightly erratically, white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, and coolant coming out of the exhaust pipe. Is it safe to assume that the block is cracked and time to finally do an l28et swap? I'll attach a video of the engine running now and one of it running sometime in the fall even though that is probably irrelevant.

Now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3wd8t033r7wtcj/20140222_135403.mp4

Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvplhep6pabaae7/2013-08-24%2020.38.34.mp4

Before i pulled the head i would check easy stuff. Coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant. You can check the spark plugs for contamination and do a compression check. 

Checked the videos out, don't think I've ever seen that much coolant pouring out the tail pipe.

Headgasket could have split/blown at the coolant jacket, between engine and the head. Unfortunately you have to remove the head to find out whats going on.   :icon50:  

The thing is the Z ran fine before winter got cold around the end of November, and literally nothing could have touched it in between now and then. The only factors involved are the freezing weather and time, so I find it hard to believe that the head gasket could have just deteriorated over a 3 month period of simply not being used. I don't want to spend the time removing the head to find out what could be an irreparable issue. Really all I am wondering is if there is something else that I am missing other than a blown/split head gasket or cracked block that would yield the same symptoms. Because even if the head gasket is blown, my time would be better spent swapping in an l28et than taking down my current N/A and replacing the head gasket.

Get a radiator cap with a schrader valve and pressurize the cooling system.  Or just stab a cooling hose with pressurized air and do the same.  See where stuff comes out.  After enough coolant blows out you'll hear the hiss of air escaping.  Use a piece of hose and your ear to home in on the source.