HybridZ

2JZ Swap Gauges

KTMStrawn

Sorry if this information is floating around somewhere but I have not been able to find it yet. I am new here and have decided on doing the 2jz swap. Hopefully I can add a build thread with a different perspective on the swap. Haha. I am wondering when doing the 2jz swap is there any way to retain all the stock gauges? From what I have read it seems like everyone just swaps out for aftermarket gauges which I would like to do eventually but for right now I would prefer keeping the stock gauges.

Speedometer would be tricky depending on which transmission you have since the final gears were a lot higher compared to Z cars.

Depending on the year of the Z, tachometer can be as easy as intercepting a signal wire or difficult as swapping to 280z gauges. Also kind of depends on distributor versus coil pack here.

Oil pressure and coolant would be a long shot, you would either have to swap in your stock sending units/sensor, as I want to say the resistance curves are different. You could use the stock sensors (from the new motor), but most likely the sweep would be different.

Voltmeter is pretty easy.

Clock is self explanatory.

This is something that is usually looked at way down the road though.

Edited by seattlejester

Haha yeah I do tend to think about things that are down the road. I just like to make sure I can get as much info as I can before I start. So if switching to aftermarket gauges what kind of gauges are you guys running? Are there aftermarket gauges that fit into the stock location that contain more than one gauge? I'm not entirely sure how I would get all of the gauges I need/want. 

Speedhut Revolution gauges are great. Speedo is GPS, so no worries as to how to get signal from the trans to the speedo...

I fit the 4" speedo and tach inside the stock 240z housings, so they'd fit the stock location...I just removed the exterior glass to allow access to the buttons on the front of the tach and speedo.. 

You can swap in stock oil and temp sensors easily, then they work. If you have a 280, the tach works, the factory speedo cable will go right on an r154, speed difference depends on tire size. With 225/50/15 its about 5mph off at 70.

Cool, I have a 260z so what problems will I run into there on the tach and speedo? Also I was going to stick with the auto for a while and see how I like it.

• 3 weeks later...