HybridZ

1971 240z with documentation

I'm trying to decide whether or not to build this car up with a rb26dett, l28et, or leave it stock. I have all three motors in my garage. I know that I'm asking on a forum that is all about modifications but all of the paperwork I received with it makes it a tougher decision for me. So, what do you guys think?

post-43304-0-74989000-1393277942_thumb.jpg

post-43304-0-56847000-1393278172_thumb.jpg

Do what you want , it is yours. My 2 centavos >>> these cars are not Ferrari's in value or a collectors dream car , they do have a significant nostalgic value and are an expression of their owners . They are great platforms to do a sea of modifications and if ''VALUE'' is a consideration , recent car magazines have indicated that  resto moded  GT classics  values  are on the rise. So the ones that own a moded S30  have the best of two worlds , classic looks and modern guts.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                PS:                keep and guard the documentation and it's period engine/tranny/ plus what ever you replace from it , so if in the future that beauty that you will create is up for grabs, the new owner has the option to reverse it, if that is his or her will :icon12:  

Edited by PLATA

I kind of went through the same thing.  i jumped on a deal for a 1973 240z with (at the time) 70,000 miles and documentation from the day it was sold (I have the original bill of sale, and pictures of the original owner with the car on the day she bought it + a lot more)  that already had an l28et, and the suspension had been modified with the typical ground control setup.

Most of the remaining parts of the car were stock and in fantastic condition.  I internally fought myself about continuing to modify it or not (roll bar/race seat etc) , some of which will leave permanent scars.   

I ultimately decided that its my own car now, (the previous owner wanted the stockish style)  and that Im going to do what makes ME happy, not the previous owner or any other purist.  

If it's going to sit in the back of your head and you kick yourself for starting to modify it, then either keep it stock, or sell it and find a little rougher Z that you wont mind tearing up.    I feel that if modded right, they dont lose their 'nostalgic value'.  I find cars that old cars that are modified as they would have been in their own decade are so incredibly badass, and for the right buyer, may be worth just as much or more than a stock example.  Of course, a car is worth as much as someone willing to pay for it. 

You need to decide what's going to make you happy and what won't keep you up at night.  It'll come to ya!

Edited by SDgoods

The documentation is awesome, but really not worth much in other than nostalgic use.  the car it rough enough that it's not going to be worth it as a full restore would go. Sure you can do it and maybe gain a little in the value for the documentation. But you'll spend a lot more restoring it than the car will be worth, so you might as well do what you will with it as though it had no extra papers.  If the car was a specialty car paper might make a difference, but unless those papers have Robert Redford or Chuck Norris on them, I doubt they're worth much to anyone. Hope you didn't pay too much extra :icon12:

Phar

I kind of went through the same thing.  i jumped on a deal for a 1973 240z with (at the time) 70,000 miles and documentation from the day it was sold (I have the original bill of sale, and pictures of the original owner with the car on the day she bought it + a lot more)  that already had an l28et, and the suspension had been modified with the typical ground control setup.

Most of the remaining parts of the car were stock and in fantastic condition.  I internally fought myself about continuing to modify it or not (roll bar/race seat etc) , some of which will leave permanent scars.   

I ultimately decided that its my own car now, (the previous owner wanted the stockish style)  and that Im going to do what makes ME happy, not the previous owner or any other purist.  

If it's going to sit in the back of your head and you kick yourself for starting to modify it, then either keep it stock, or sell it and find a little rougher Z that you wont mind tearing up.    I feel that if modded right, they dont lose their 'nostalgic value'.  I find cars that old cars that are modified as they would have been in their own decade are so incredibly badass, and for the right buyer, may be worth just as much or more than a stock example.  Of course, a car is worth as much as someone willing to pay for it. 

You need to decide what's going to make you happy and what won't keep you up at night.  It'll come to ya!

Amen. You own the car, the car doesn't own you. Don't become the car's caretaker in trying to preserve it the best you can. For what purpose-so you can get more value when you sell it? Do what makes you happy :)

I only paid $600 for the car so I have plenty of options. I initially bought that I would fix it and then sell it to fund the next Z project. However, the more time that I spend on it the more I'm leaning toward keeping it and customizing it the way I want to and the documentation will be just a bonus.

for $600 I think you did great, but you do have about as much work ahead of you as I do on my 240Z.  Keep in mind, in a lot of cases it's still cheaper to swap out fenders hoods and such rather than to repair them prior to paint.  The  wheel arches and such can be bought fairly cheaply from Tabco or Rock-Auto.  The important parts to address first are the safety items such as brakes and seatbelts.  Shiney paint doesn't mean sh*t if you can't stop!  I'm sure you knew that though.  Consider replacing the soft brakelines with braided SS lines. the old ones are 35 year old so...