HybridZ

ZG Flares in stamped steel or injection molded plastic

RebekahsZ

Who would be interested in buying screw-on ZG flares in either stamped steel or injection molded plastic?

I have purchased ZG flares from 2 different distributors and I have been shocked by what a minimal product I paid big bucks for.  These flares look good in photos, but there's really nothing to them when you hold them in your hand then crack them when you install them.  Seems like a pretty good product to make either as stamped steel or injection molded plastic (like a milk jug or baby slide).  Plus, they are on back order from just about every supplier-there must be just a couple of guys laying them up out of fiber glass for the whole market.  We are paying good money for pretty sorry product.  I have a buddy who owns several businesses and he has offered to help me with production research.  I didn't know this, but he says that injection molding of plastic is pretty expensive and that start up might be pretty tough unless sales were pretty high-volume.  But, he knows of a stamping company that is operating below production capacity that might be interested in finding more work.  Please sound off with your thoughts on demand for these parts both domestically and abroad (Tony D?).  I'm imagining simple screw-on flares of the same profile as is now available that could be painted and screwed on in the usual way...

If I think the demand is there, the next item would be patent research.

The problem with making steel ones is it will be difficult to get them to fit properly as the FG ones can easily bend around the contours of the car body; everyone has their flares mounted in different positions relative to the swage line so getting a one size fits all would be impossible, I would stick to making flares out of a less rigid material. Something like urethane would be good.

I have purchased ZG flares from 2 different distributors and I have been shocked by what a minimal product I paid big bucks for.  These flares look good in photos, but there's really nothing to them when you hold them in your hand then crack them when you install them. 

The OEM 240ZG 'overfenders' were well made, and fitted properly. Your problem is that you are confusing 'copies' of copies of copies ( sometimes 'copied' from something nowhere near the OEM shapes and quality ) with The Real Thing.

If you bought the best available replication of the OEM quality, then you wouldn't have a problem. So pay Marugen Shokai for their product and be done with it. 

• Like 1

Whatever you do or make a copy of- use good templates like Shoukia . I had owned those and the cheapie copies, there is no comparison . Cheapies crack because they don't fit right. Shoukia's just lay up against the body.

I wouldn't mind seeing a weld able metal flare though!!

That's my job to figure out.  To the question:  would you buy some? 

Since you and I have no idea of what the cost would be, no, I would not be interested.  

You should have probably priced them out before requesting buyer interest without indicating a possible price point.  That's how marketing works. Those who responded "yes" didn't indicate how much they would be willing to pay for steel, so the information you're getting is somewhat useless.  The fiberglass ones on my Z work quite nicely.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

The OEM 240ZG 'overfenders' were well made, and fitted properly. Your problem is that you are confusing 'copies' of copies of copies ( sometimes 'copied' from something nowhere near the OEM shapes and quality ) with The Real Thing.

If you bought the best available replication of the OEM quality, then you wouldn't have a problem. So pay Marugen Shokai for their product and be done with it. 

I concur. If Shokai's molds were taken while his original set were still mounted to an un-repaired S30 body like I did.....the fitment is spot on. Molds made from loose parts in this category will be troublesome for all. 

NOTE: I am not soliciting production from my molds at this time. It was an investment for the future.

Cheers, Vinny

IMO the indents for the bolt holes would make this very difficult to produce, and if you could, it would probably be very expensive. Nissan had the means to make them in whatever material they wanted and they chose fiberglass - probably for a good reason.

I'm with Alan on this one. Don't expect good quality flares from a cheap source.

Lots of good advice. Thanks fellas. I would definitely take the time to order some from a couple of vendors and especially the highly regarded Japanese version. I'm just testing the waters. I have a fully time job, so this isn't anything that's gonna happen soon or probably at all. What's the thickness like on the Marugens? How many layers of glass cloth? Could they withstand getting hit with a jack handle in the shop or a cone at an autocross? Injection molded plastic would be my first choice followed by urethane. Metal dents so its not my top choice. What are the Marugens running in US $? I would only be seeking to improve availability or durability for folks who beat on their cars like I do. I'm imagining whacking one of these things then having to wait a couple months for a replacement to arrive.